Droid 2 - is the first batch just "buggy" in general (?)

greg30127

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else had bought a Droid 2, only to find it with multiple bugs?

Got my first unit a couple of days after they came out. Phone rebooted a few times even when I was in the middle of doing something on it. Screens were sluggish to flip through, and the bottom control buttons weren't very responsive. The keyboard backlight would only work half the time in dark rooms (sometimes came on, sometimes not). Then the final straw was when the phone started showing a solid black screen with no icons, and when you flipped it to landscape mode to try that out, you got half of a good screen and half black (see photo - sorry, I blurred it):

motodefect.jpg

Ok, so I took it back and they swapped it for a second model. This one seemed faster and more responsive, but within a day it also rebooted more than once on it's own when I was doing something like texting, and the keyboard backlight once again, refused to work 50% of the time in darker rooms. There was also a distinct "hiss" in the background of all calls, even though I'm in a good reception area. I finally just gave up and took that one back today too and switched back to my old phone.

When I called Verizon's 611 to seek advice, the guy told me he had already handled several return requests for the Droid 2 as well, and acknowledged they were aware of one design booboo where if you use the top part of a two-piece case, the upper case will somewhat interfere with typing on the top row of keys on the keyboard, too. Regardless, it sounds like maybe a whole bad batch of these things went out, maybe?

Just curious if anyone else has noticed the bugs in this model. It seems like so many people are still waiting for Incredibles and "X"s, there weren't that many initial buyers of the Droid 2 on the first week, though.

TheFrequency

Reaction score
I have noticed a few bugs. One is the dreaded SMS scroll problem. Another deals with rebooting the phone. If I turn on my phone and try to do things too soon after booting it will just up and reboot again. I give it about 30 secs after a boot and things work fine, but it's still worth a mention.