Droid 2 Global Back to Stock

ExodusC

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I've been attempting to get back to the stock ROM for some testing. I normally use Fission, and I've attempted to use the the "Droid Global Stock" ROM downloaded via Fission ROM Manager.

Unfortunately, when I install the stock ROM, I get stuck at the Backup Assistant prompt.

No matter what I do (putting in my PIN, or skipping), I get stuck at "Communicating with server, please wait..." indefinitely.

Has anyone else had this problem? I really figure the only way I can get back to stock is to SBF the phone.

I'm trying to resolve the battery life issues. In short, after some point in using my phone after installing a ROM, my battery life goes from great (4 hours to get to 90%) to poor (10% every hour). Whether or not people on this forum will admit or believe it, something happens to some user's devices where they get awful battery life. I won't even go in to all that.

Regardless, I need to figure out this issue with Backup Assistant.

Any ideas?

Scan1on

Reaction score
I just actually restored my nandroid stock and did a factory data reset... i skipped backup assistant though and had no problems getting out of it.

blur isnt all that bad once you get rid of the bloat and get a new launcher... i feel like its just as fast as fission was.

edit: i did however have a problem getting my 3G to work but i *228, reprogammed my phone and updated roaming and it was working fine.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I just actually restored my nandroid stock and did a factory data reset... i skipped backup assistant though and had no problems getting out of it.

blur isnt all that bad once you get rid of the bloat and get a new launcher... i feel like its just as fast as fission was.

edit: i did however have a problem getting my 3G to work but i *228, reprogammed my phone and updated roaming and it was working fine.

The rock solid stability of the stock rom alone is worth a lot more than any features you may get from a custom rom. From my experiences, especially with the locked bootloader, the more features that get added to a rom seem to greatly effect stability.

turok

Reaction score
That happened to me once ... but I just pressed the home button and it went to the home screen ..if I went back to settings .. it was still back "backing up" ..but it eventually stoped.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
E

ExodusC

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think it's actually not Backup Assistant.

I was able to install Titanium Backup, and uninstalled Backup Assistant entirely.

I couldn't figure out what it was causing my to sit at the black screen with "Communicating with server. Please wait" displaying.

However, I was able to run the bloatware removal script, but get this: My launcher wouldn't, well, launch. I don't know if it was even installed, by the way it seemed.

I installed Launcher Pro, but my apps were pretty broken. Messaging wouldn't launch. I had the option of "Set Up" or "Launcher Pro" as my launcher. Maybe Set Up is causing the problems I'm getting?

The way this looks, I'm not going to be able to even go back to Stock. Then again, it's my fault for not making a NANDroid backup of the Stock ROM. I guess I could SBF, but I don't know if it's worth it. I'd rather attempt to restore a NANDroid backup of someone else's phone before bothering.

Anyhow, I'm back to Fission.

I can note that before I installed the Stock ROM, Fission read 80% battery. Upon installing the Stock ROM, it read 90%. This is exactly the battery discrepancy I'm talking about, that no one seems to want to acknowledge the existence of.

Edit: Note that it only breaks in Fission after a certain amount of time. Upon a fresh install of Fission, my battery was working great. Somewhere along the line, something messed up, and it started getting horrible battery life. It's not my settings, I've followed every battery advisory out there, so you'll have to trust me on this one.

Reaction score
SBFing takes less than ten minutes, is simple, and is guaranteed to give you a phone in a new, out of the box state. I don't get why people are so reluctant to try.

Reaction score
SBFing takes less than ten minutes, is simple, and is guaranteed to give you a phone in a new, out of the box state. I don't get why people are so reluctant to try.

+1. Everything you need is right here:

TBH & MyDroidWorld Present: Droid 2 (2.3.20) Triple Threat

Pssst.. He's got a D2G... that SBF will brick his phone.

The proper link is at the top of the D2G forum. Also, you'll have to google around for a copy of RSDLite 4.9, which is required for a D2G, the previous versions don't support its hardware.

kingwaffle

Reaction score
The rock solid stability of the stock rom alone is worth a lot more than any features you may get from a custom rom.

Not in my case. I recently went from Fission back to Stock and it was that way for about 2 days before I couldn't handle its poor performance anymore. All kinds of weird stuff kept happening...couldn't take it.

I thought it was a bad flash, so I flashed the SBF again and still had lousy performance.

Back to Fission, for now...

Chaos2092

Reaction score
Apologies for the bump, but I'm having this same issue, although I didn't have Titanium Backup before and have no way of accessing any of my apps or anything to do now... help?

EDIT: Nevermind, I somehow managed to download and install Titanium Backup using the voice commands to get to my Google search and managed to reinstall Fission and now everything is fine... Sorry again for the bump, especially now that it seems rather unncessary.

Last edited: