Droid 2 camera is crap!

xmguy

Reaction score
I thought that with the droid 1 having a good camera for color representation that the 2 would as well. I was wrong. The camera takes very poor outdoor shots. Lacking any color and looking dull. Even when using the scene setting and iso and such. Has anyone else noticed this? Id figure atleast the camera would be as good as or better than the Droid 1. Now every picture looks like it was taken with a $30 camera phone.

Sent from XMGUY's Droid 2

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
To add. (This must be a defect) the pics are half good and half bad. The top half maybe 1/4 of the image has good color the rest is awful. Ideas? Btw I will post a sample.

Sent from XMGUY's Droid 2

pool_shark

Reaction score
I started a thread months ago stating that the Droid 2 camera sucks. Since that time I've also stated that it takes much better pics in good lighting.
All of the outdoor pics I've taken look great, it's the indoor pics without good lighting that look horrible.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
The flash is weaker and more toward the yellow hue vs the Droid 2's all white LED. That is why indoor pics are bad. I'm talking about outdoor in sunlight. They look like crap. They look ok before taking the pic. Afterwards no.

samples. The top or right of the pics have good color repensation. the middle/left and bottom/middle don't.

2010-11-21_13-49-51_374.jpg

and

2010-11-21_13-50-09_612.jpg

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I have the Omnia. I'm a camera nut. It HAS to have good color representation, good lines and little pixelation. The Omnia was ok. It did have over saturation issues. But the night shot was VERY cool. However the Droid 1 took stunning images. I'm hoping an exchange will fix this I can't see why the 2 would be worse than the 1. If this IS the case however I'll go back to the Droid 1.

My phone has to do 3 things.

1: Make and receive phone calls clearly.

2: Beable to stream music (ie Internet Radio) with good sound

3: Have a good camera.

the rest a phone can do is just icing to me. I love the FM Radio but I can live without it if indeed the Droid 2 camera is worse than the Droid 1. I HATE, HATE, HATE that the 2 doesn't have an option to set if the image is taken in sunlight. The Droid 1 had this option.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
UPDATE: It's offical BLUR is the reason the Droid 2 camera sucks on getting colors right. I downloaded Camera ZOOM FX. It takes DROID 1 quality pics. With good color representation.

I got another replacement Droid 2 and it too took BAD outdoor pics. It looked fine BEFORE the picture was taken. So something in the BLUR software is messing it up.

pool_shark

Reaction score
UPDATE: It's offical BLUR is the reason the Droid 2 camera sucks on getting colors right. I downloaded Camera ZOOM FX. It takes DROID 1 quality pics. With good color representation.

I got another replacement Droid 2 and it too took BAD outdoor pics. It looked fine BEFORE the picture was taken. So something in the BLUR software is messing it up.

I read reviews that zoom doesn't work on the Droid 2. True or false?
I use Vignette, it really enhances the color.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score

I now use Vignette too. Has the "daylight" setting I need plus FULL 5MP resolution. The other apps only go to 3MP. Zoom really doesn't work with Vignette. You can't zoom in before the pic is taken.

pool_shark

Reaction score

I now use Vignette too. Has the "daylight" setting I need plus FULL 5MP resolution. The other apps only go to 3MP. Zoom really doesn't work with Vignette. You can't zoom in before the pic is taken.

I use Vignette, you can zoom, it just doesn't work as other cameras, instead of actually bringing the item closer to you, the frame around the pic gets smaller. It still shows you exactly what it's going to capture.

I was asking you if the zoom on camera zoom FX worked because I read reviews that it didn't.

Canadroid

Reaction score
My only gripe with the camera is sometimes it doesn't respond or lags and hangs...has locked the phone on two occasions for sure.

Quality wise, for what need, the picture quality is ok. I probably don't use the correct settings and shoot modes half the time anyways.

20101009181057702.jpg

20101108122940906.jpg

macisme

Reaction score
I agree the cam on my brand new Droid2 is garbage. My Omnia took much better pictures. No matter what I do I just can't get this to take good pics. Even before the pic is taken it looks grainy and pixelated. Does Vignette really help the imaging enough that you won't see this anymore?

pool_shark

Reaction score
I agree the cam on my brand new Droid2 is garbage. My Omnia took much better pictures. No matter what I do I just can't get this to take good pics. Even before the pic is taken it looks grainy and pixelated. Does Vignette really help the imaging enough that you won't see this anymore?

Vignette doesn't actually make the camera better it enhances the colors. The D2 takes great pics when the lighting is really good.
With the standard camera app it seems to take better pics in wide instead of 5mp.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
I use retro camera to take pics....different color settings and effects work great....haven't had the fade problems like the normal cam, but processing requires to be at medium or high voltage if a you take a few pcitures....had it reset a few times...same with camcorder....

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I use retro camera to take pics....different color settings and effects work great....haven't had the fade problems like the normal cam, but processing requires to be at medium or high voltage if a you take a few pcitures....had it reset a few times...same with camcorder....

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

So I'm not the only one that has the 2 color issue in pictures? Like I posted in page 1.