Droid 2 Boots up but screen is not working...

spkraft

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had or has this same problem...my droid 2 boots up fine in the background...I can hear the noises it makes when it boots up and when I touch the screen it vibrates...but the main screen stays black. The soft buttons will lite up though...If anyone has had this problem or knows of a fix was looking for some assistance..thank you

OP
S

spkraft

Reaction score
This was my original phone it was previously rooted but I gave this phone to my girlfriend to use and had to unroot it to update to gingerbread, so it is currently unrooted...but like i said the backlights all come on and the phone boots up, you just see nothing at all on the screen except for a dim backlight...

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you hold a flashlight to the screen can you see the icons, apps, etc?

OP
S

spkraft

Reaction score
no the flashlight doesnt help...just a dim backlight on the screen is all...

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmm if any of the ports got wet even a little bit,the backlight will burn out. Replacements cost about $60-$80

OP
S

spkraft

Reaction score
it didnt get wet...was sitting on the computer desk all night...was working when we went to bed but the next morning the screen was in its current state...lol

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmm weird. Maybe try to get into bootloader mode and see if screen works there. Not sure how to do it on D2 though.

OP
S

spkraft

Reaction score
Yeah I have tried bootloader mode...tried everything I can think of...im almost assuming im gonna have to replace the screen or the phone...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

slnewsome18

Reaction score
Hey, I had the same problem...after spending many hours on the phone with Verizon and motorola...Im told that it will need to be flashed back to stock. Im working now on how to do that as Im not tech savvy, but I live an hour and a half away from the nearest retailer. I let you know if it works. My thoughts were that if it was in fact the digitizer? then I wouldnt be able to see the motorola batwings...anyways, I'll keep you posted. Good luck!

celavi

Reaction score
D2G blank screen

I'm having very similar problem on my Droid 2 Global....

- during boot up it does the quick vibrate and normal sounds.
- constant black screen.... no dim backlight.
- soft keys light up.
- able to answer calls by swiping "that" area of the screen.
- able to receive calls and have a normal conversation.
- keyboard lights up.
- message light blinks.

Additionally... this started after the screen issue started....
- top rear of phone gets VERY HOT.
- after about 15 mins, battery gets warm.
- after a full charge on my wife's D2G, and putting that full battery into my D2G, battery life is gone in 15 mins or so.
- swapping batteries into her phone poses no issues on her phone, charges normal, normal batt life.

Also, the problem started in similar way as reported by spkraft (checked email, battery was low, so i plugged it in. couple hours later, screen would never appear again).

OF COURSE, my 1 year warranty at Verizon JUST expired 10 days ago. The timing is stunning... i'm speechless.

Anyone having the same problems?
Suggestions on next steps for repair? Or how to duke this out with Verizon? I really cant afford a new phone now, with a new child born :)biggrin:) , wife is not working, etc...

Thank you in advance!

celavi

Reaction score
Also, I had a question about bootloader mode...

How would you get into bootloader and follow the menu selections if the screen is completely black?
I'd like to try that, but can't determine if I ever get into bootloader mode, and can't see the screen to select the desired options.

Spkraft stated that he/she performed that, but not sure how with a blank screen.

lizard

Reaction score
Mine does that when I reboot with it on the charger. I just hit power twice. Not power it down just toggle it off then on.

Sent from my rooted, and CM7 rommed, Droid2