Droid 2.1 Update Delayed?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bought my droid a week before xmas. Salesperson assured me the voice activation for blue tooth would be upgraded in 2-4 weeks. So here we are. I'm loving the phone but hating the bluetooth in a handsfree state.

I wouldn't count on bt voice activation being fixed with 2.1. You want voice activation you can get it with a blue ant q1. There is also some hands free app in the market.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
i think the guys at androidspin just got confused with the rumor about the maintenance update that went out to a few people...and just said that that was 2.1

GodDriven

Reaction score
Droid 2.1

Well, I could start by saying that it was very disturbing, not disappointing when there was no update. I did find all five apk's to install to the Droid. From the launcher to the Genie Widget. Now I feel 'sort of' satisfied. The nexus one and 2.1 is not much of a leap from the droid if any at all. Ive Had it for two weeks and honestly Every one hypes over the 1GHZ vs the 600 but they fail to see that the Droid has a dedicated GPU which in sense makes it feel like a 1GHZ from taking it out the box. The Nexus is not all that serious also, its a Trumped up HTC Hero. Add the processor and the screen. Viola, Nexus One. The Droid is by far better feeling and it still has those extra 54 pixels. Trust when we compared, if not for the AMOLED it would look duller and smaller in a sense. Also, when I got the Nexus it comes underclocked to 678. So thanks to cyaonogen and modaco for making this a TRUE Nexus One...

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
ive never actually handled the N1, but you really think the Droid "feels" better (GodDriven)? i just figured the nexus would feel better because of its sleek look and smooth edges...i dont know, thats interesting cause i havent seen anyone say that about the droid compared to the nexus...

davidtaylorjr

Reaction score
I think that is unlikely, but I am getting annoyed nonetheless. But it has to be optimized for the droid, you say. Well, sorry, but this device is a "Google Experience" device, a much celebrated label that was advertised to mean "near immediate" release of Android OS updates. Google had a hand in the hardware, no Sense UI or other customization needed, etc - all this was supposed to mean the normal cell phone BS of delayed OS updates wasn't supposed to happen. Now here we sit 3 weeks plus from the relase of 2.1 and not only do we not have an update, we don't even have an official date for it.

When Microsoft releases a windows update it immediately goes to all PCs. As a tech guru, I expected nearly the same thing with a "Google Experience" device. Instead, its cell phone "business as usual" as we sit around waiting for when Verizon and Motorola will "bless" us with an update.

So yes, I'm disappointed. If its delayed, fine, tell us that and give us a date, don't pull this "you have a 2.0 device you aren't entitled to know when 2.1 is coming" nonsense.

There really is no sense in the delays. There are enough techs on all accounts to have had it working and ready to go by now... Is the update big? No, but there are features that would be nice to have on a "Google Phone". Get with it Verizon/Moto/Google...

GodDriven

Reaction score
Better Feel...

Well, I will start like this. The N1 is is amazingly light and really does have such a smooth body and curves, God I always wanted Jennifer Love Hewitt, Moving On, The Droid was built sturdier and stronger. The N1 is built to be as light and functional as possible. The hardware keyboard and the d-pad are amazing. the d-pad is not as bad as everyone thinks. The N1 dows have a better navigation due to the trackball.

Overall, the nexus is good to "play" with, the droid is good to depend, live, rely, and soley have fun. You'll See... (NatDiddy)

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
i would like to just actually handle the nexus 1 and play around with it just to see what it feels like...i absolutely love my droid dont get me wrong...but watching videos of the N1 and the pictures of it are just so enticing lol...it seems like its seducing me in!! i think the main reason for that is because i was never a huge fan of the droids physical keyboard, but, after using my droid for 2 months now i have become slightly accustomed to it. like the dpad for instance, it comes in handy for certain things! but maybe if i actually held the N1 and felt it i would know what youre talkin about...

zero7404

Reaction score
come to your senses....it's got a trackball.....that's 3+ yr old technology....
if it had an optical trackpad similar to the bold 9700....it'd be a more worthy device....but as it stands, that trackball will turn black in no time and i don't see any easy way to get a new one on the device when the old one seizes or stops working.

Ainvar

Reaction score
I think that is unlikely, but I am getting annoyed nonetheless. But it has to be optimized for the droid, you say. Well, sorry, but this device is a "Google Experience" device, a much celebrated label that was advertised to mean "near immediate" release of Android OS updates. Google had a hand in the hardware, no Sense UI or other customization needed, etc - all this was supposed to mean the normal cell phone BS of delayed OS updates wasn't supposed to happen. Now here we sit 3 weeks plus from the relase of 2.1 and not only do we not have an update, we don't even have an official date for it.

When Microsoft releases a windows update it immediately goes to all PCs. As a tech guru, I expected nearly the same thing with a "Google Experience" device. Instead, its cell phone "business as usual" as we sit around waiting for when Verizon and Motorola will "bless" us with an update.

So yes, I'm disappointed. If its delayed, fine, tell us that and give us a date, don't pull this "you have a 2.0 device you aren't entitled to know when 2.1 is coming" nonsense.

You sir speak the truth!!

Also since someone also did not like you using MS as the comparison then look at Apple. When they release updates to 10.5 it went to all machines both PPC and Intel. With 10.6 it is released to all Intel machines not just the model or that model for OS based updates.

Ainvar

Reaction score
ive never actually handled the N1, but you really think the Droid "feels" better (GodDriven)? i just figured the nexus would feel better because of its sleek look and smooth edges...i dont know, thats interesting cause i havent seen anyone say that about the droid compared to the nexus...

The N1 is a nice looking device. I like the form factor but not as much as I like the droid.

The droid just feels solid compared to the N1. Also I like the screen on the droid over the n1. So much more vibrant. Also I could not tell a difference at all in performance when messing with it. I feel the droid is overall faster in opening and closing apps and showing video. I know the n1 has a 1ghz cpu which would help with 2d and executing apps but I did not see this.

Overall I would take the droid over the n1 anyday. But again this is just my preference.

masters

Reaction score
OThey really could / should have leaked 2.1 for those willing to run a buggy OS. Then when it's ready push it ota for everyone else.

I already have 2.1 and it's fairly stable, but I would love to see what their working on. I would also do a happy dance if Bluetooth dialing, flash, and html5 video are in it.

Oh and fix the browsers smooth scrolling.

Last edited:

Flea506

Reaction score
you guys think it might come bundled with flash that would be awsome