driving/ car mode

rj1488

Reaction score
Is there a driving mode or car mode for the droid razr

YellowJacket

Reaction score
The stock car mode only works with the motorola car dock, however, you may want to try the "CarHome Ultra" app in the app store. I have been using it as a motorola car mode replacement for a couple weeks and absolutely love it. Way more functional than the standard dock app and you do not need the motorola car dock to use it.

David

jtfowler22

Reaction score
Similar issue...

Hey there YellowJacket .... I'm also a Knoxvillian!! AND I also use the CarHome Ultra app, but sometimes my droid will randomly start announcing text when the CarHome app is on. I think it may do it when I manually disconnect my bluetooth but I haven't tested this theory out. Have you had this problem? I dont want it to ever announce my texts, and the worst part is ... it will keep announcing my text even after im out of the car and have closed CarHome Ultra.

Really sucks when I come into work, and am sitting in my cubicle and all the sudden "TEXT MESSAGE FROM GRANT, SAY LISTEN TO HEAR THE MESSAGE". I usually just restart my phone to make sure this doesn't happen....but let's face it, that's super annoying and this shouldn't be happening.

I did notice that if you hold the Home key to see your recent apps that CarHome and DrivingMode are both in the list. I'm not sure if carhome isnt overriding driving mode properly or what. None of my smart actions are enabled that have to do with driving mode.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
HI JT,

I'm in West Knoxville - Concord area.

To fix your problem, go into car home settings then sound. Check the first one on the list "mute notification sounds". That should fix it.

Also, holding the home key brings up recent apps but not necessarily ones that are still running so CHU will still show in the list. If you go into your phones settings and choose manage apps, then running apps, you will see that its not listed in the apps that are currently running. ( or SHOULD see it that way...)

Take care,

David

Redsnk95

Reaction score
If you have certain triggers to use, you can use Motorola Smart Actions to turn on the stock car mode. I use Car Home Ultra Pro most of the time, but wanted to try the stock car mode just to see how it worked.

My triggers: Charging Status changes, BlueTooth connect to Ford Sync.
Action: Start Car Ultra Home (or select the stock Car Mode).

The BT always connects on my phone in the truck, this way the car mode only starts when I have it plugged into the charger.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Has anyone else had issues with their phone not charging using the Motorola Dock?

Works fine for me however, I have found that the where the cord plugs into the dock is very weak. I get some audio problems whenever the cord jiggles so I just used some hot glue and heat shrink tubing to shore it up and make it a permanent connection. I can see similar problems happening with the power wires within the same cable becoming loose.

David

jtfowler22

Reaction score
Also, holding the home key brings up recent apps but not necessarily ones that are still running so CHU will still show in the list.

But should my "Driving Mode" app (that came with the phone) be in the list as well as car home ultra. I understand why I am seeing car home ultra, but i'm not sure why I am also seeing the driving mode app in my recent apps.

Thanks for the other tip though, going to try it on my lunch break today and hopefully that solves the problem!!!

YellowJacket

Reaction score
But should my "Driving Mode" app (that came with the phone) be in the list as well as car home ultra. I understand why I am seeing car home ultra, but i'm not sure why I am also seeing the driving mode app in my recent apps.

Thanks for the other tip though, going to try it on my lunch break today and hopefully that solves the problem!!!

As far as I know, no, it shouldn't be listed in the recent apps as it is a "smart action" rather than an app.

Davdi

Redsnk95

Reaction score
If you have a car dock or something that activates car mode then it will show up in recent apps along with Car Home Ultra.

jtfowler22

Reaction score
didn't work

the mute notifications sounds in the car home ultra app settings did not work for me. I'm almost positive it's because that stupid driving mode app is opening in the background. I connect via bluetooth and not a car dock and I do have a smart action that also connects when I connect to bluetooth but it does not start the driving mode app. all my smart action does is turn my sound on loud and disable wifi and turn on GPS