Dreamcast and Saturn to Android

Strifer116

Reaction score
Hi,

If you agree with the below please go to this link and sign the petition:

HTML:
http://www.petitiononline.com/AndSega/petition.html
The Android OS has some amazing emulators. the PSX is here and soon will be a N64

If one looks at the PSP and Open Pandora scene you will notice that there is a Sega saturn emulator available on PSP and a Sega Dreamcast for the Open Pandora

Currently a Sega Saturn emulator could run on Android phones. A Dreamcast may or may not be possible until future hardware upgrades. Android phones update thier hardware much more frequently than Open Pandora and the PSP so developers can bring high end emulators to the Android operating system sooner.

The key benefits to developers with the Android Platform vs the Open Pandora or PSP platforms are

1: The Developers can actually sell the emulator's and make quite a nice bit of profit (optional)
2. Android reaches a far larger amount of users than the Open Pandora and PSP
3. Android phones are much more portable than Open Pandora and PSP

If you feel that our Android phones deserve more attention than the PSP and/or the Open Pandora please say yes to this Poll. Hopefully we can get enough people to post so we can see a working Sega Saturn/ Dreamcast emulator here in the future
Sincerely,

PyGuy

Reaction score
I first saw this thinking "Is this dude crazy?", but on second thought, later droid models like the X and Droid 2 will probably be able to run Dreamcast with no problem once overclocked, Saturn too, definitely! I'll sign. It WILL happen someday. Hell, when my contract expires, I'll get that Olympus thing that has dual core @ 1Ghz. *Signed*

PS I also agree with your point on android being a more efficient developer platform.

kevenz

Reaction score
saturn and dreamcast? maybe once we get the dual core phone like HTC has announced.

until then....... it won't be playable at all.

OP
S

Strifer116

Reaction score
saturn and dreamcast? maybe once we get the dual core phone like HTC has announced.

Saturn requires less than a PS1 to run so the Saturn is possible.

A Dreamcast may or may not be BUT within a year it could be.

UNC

Reaction score

You really don't know much about emulation. A Saturn is harder to emulate than a PS1.... take my word for it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
S

Strifer116

Reaction score

You really don't know much about emulation. A Saturn is harder to emulate than a PS1.... take my word for it.

I am aware it is harder to emulate than a PSX. I was just stating that is could run currently on out devices.

The issue is not that it is hard for me. IT has already been ported to the PSP so why not try and convince those same developers or perhpas one of the current Saturn emulation groups to port it to Android and sell it to us ?

They make money, reach more users and we get a new emulator.

Seems like a simple win-win to me

UNC

Reaction score

I am aware it is harder to emulate than a PSX. I was just stating that is could run currently on out devices.

The issue is not that it is hard for me. IT has already been ported to the PSP so why not try and convince those same developers or perhpas one of the current Saturn emulation groups to port it to Android and sell it to us ?

They make money, reach more users and we get a new emulator.

Seems like a simple win-win to me

Saturn can't run at any playable speeds on psp. That's a pipe dream, and a waste of your time and effort. N64 isn't as intensive as Saturn and N64 barely works on PSP, and still doesn't work on Android.

OP
S

Strifer116

Reaction score
Just You tube the Saturn running on PSP Slims. It runs fine.

The PSP Slim also only has a 333 MHZ CPU and 64 MB of Ram

our phones have 3x the processing power and almost 10x the RAM

I think the Saturn would run better if ported to Android as opposed to the PSP Slim

UNC

Reaction score
Did you actually read about the PSP Saturn "emulator"...
It runs 10% of the games, and those games have mad missing sprites because of the architecture of the Saturn...

Saturn's two processor setup has stifled the emulation of it, even Nintendo doesn't have it in their Virtual Console and they have all the sdks and source code for the Saturn!!

Also, the PSP has a dedicated GPU and a lower resolution which make speed easier to obtain... so you get Saturn Emulation at 10fps...

lacp

Reaction score
I think that for emulate the multiple Saturn cores it's needed a dual core smartphone and for dreamcast the actual processors of the android phones at 1GHz aren't enough. Will exist in close future, solutions for this, like Nvidia tegra 2, Ti Omap4, St-Ericsson U8500, Samsung Orion and Qualcomm Snapdragon dual core.

lacp

Reaction score
In the future with the dual cores processores that i exemplefied above i hope that appear Sega Arcade emulators like Sega Model 2 or based o Demul for Naomi, Atomiswave and probably Naomi 2.

OP
S

Strifer116

Reaction score

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
If they could interface with the hardware properly, the PowerVR GPU used in alot of Android devices is actually compatible with the Dreamcast's GPU - it's just a more up to date version optimized for mobile.

Nkyinkyin

Reaction score
I'm done with this 100%

UNC

Reaction score
Good luck LOL!

Saturn will probably never be 100% realized as the architecture is too far from the norm... But whatever.