Awesome New Dreamcast Emulator "Riecast" For Android!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
reicast-screen.jpg

I was pretty excited to see a new Dreamcast emulator show up for Android in the Play Store this afternoon! The Dreamcast by Sega was the device that paved the way for modern consoles. It was the first console to pair players from all over the world via its built in 56k modem! Even though this console was hugely popular beating both the PS2 and Xbox to the market, it was a short lived device. Everyone knows that consoles are a loss leader. The Dreamcast happened to be the easiest device to hack ever. With file sharing services like irc, limewire, and others beginning to become prominent this device really had no chance. With a simple download you could burn a bootdisc which would allow you to boot all pirated games. If a console maker can't sell software then their isn't a way to make a profit. The online capability was exciting but didn't work for anything more than surfing simple websites. Multiplayer online was available, but was far to slow to be feasible. Sega dropped out of the console game, but now you can have your own virtual Dreamcast on your phone!

The Dreamcast emulator "Riecast" will allow you to play your favorite games in full speed. The developer of the app does mention that you should be running at least a dual core 1.0ghz cpu to get full enjoyment out of this app. Something else worth noting is that this emulator is said to work pretty well with the OUYA console. This is beta and you can expect a few bugs. Some roms for the emulator may not even fully work. This could be an awesome app for Dreamcast fans. Check out the source link for more information.

Play Store

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
As cool is this is, I have something cooler. I have a Dreamcast in my garage that still works with a ton of games =D.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I have a Dreamcast as well, but this sounds like a way better option. I'm sure once it's out of alpha and beta stages it'll have all sorts of options to improve graphical performance over the console. Not to mention it's way easier to carry your tablet around than it is to lug a Dreamcast everywhere.

Batman8

Reaction score
I too still have my old Dreamcast (along with several other old consoles), but this one was one of my all time favorites of that day...with it's on-line play and the portable VMUs that popped in and out of the controllers. It was revolutionary for it's time, and if Sega and Microsoft could have gotten along to continue development, we would have probably never seen the likes of an Xbox.

I'm glad to finally see a solid Android based DC emulator. Hopefully it works well, even in the early stages, and it would also be nice if it continues to get developed and gets solid support going forward.

B.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
It asks for the Bios? How does one acquire this?

Batman8

Reaction score
It asks for the Bios? How does one acquire this?

Just go to the Playstore and search for "bios". There are a few that work. Also read the info in the Playstore about the emulator...it tells you what directory to put the Bios into. Good luck. I haven't actually had time to try it out yet.