Don't touch that Droid!

wouldchip

Reaction score
Check this out. It appears that a bird in the hand may be worth two in the bush, but not so when it comes to the new Droid RAZR M.
[video=youtube;0wUpkDDlNTM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wUpkDDlNTM&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are a few threads over in the Moto Support Forums about this - you should post this there as well - they need to keep hearing about this, at least to the point where they might respond...

I agree, awesome device, but I think it's packed so tight, combined with the metal (aluminum?) frame, that it does suffer from attenuation like the iPhone 4. Some of that is inevitable on just about any device. But it does seem to affect things.

It looks like, at least where you're at in this video, it's a weak 4G area? Is that true?

If you're in a strong 4G area, or an area with 3G only, you'll probably rarely, if ever, notice. But the "fringers" out there (sorry, bad made-up word!) will see it more often - unless, of course, you slap a case on that bad boy. ;) Though in some cases, the case might not help as much as the thick paper towel wrap you've got there.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd also like to add a silver lining to this...

A year ago, if any of the LTE phones were having this problem, you (the collective "you") would've dropped data altogether, and might've even struggled to get it back without toggling AP mode or rebooting or whatever. In my experience over the last few weeks, when it's switched (even back and forth, like in a test you just did), it's been instantaneous, without losing data. Might not be the case all the time, but so far, they at least seem to have the kinks worked out with regard to the handoff between 3G/4G - which is what the S4 processor was supposed to be good at anyway.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Does an otterbox defender act as a paper towel for this phone? Or does it act more like your hand?? Just curious :)

OP
W

wouldchip

Reaction score
Does an otterbox defender act as a paper towel for this phone? Or does it act more like your hand?? Just curious :)

Because the otterbox is a polycarbonate case, I would think it should work just fine.

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this..I am staying far away from Moto. i'm due for a upgrade and there is nothing i like but the GNex currently

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Because the otterbox is a polycarbonate case, I would think it should work just fine.

Kewl... I hope the HD doesn't have this issue... but if it does, I guess slapping an otterbox defender on it should help :)

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kewl... I hope the HD doesn't have this issue... but if it does, I guess slapping an otterbox defender on it should help :)

you getting the HD now ??

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
No... getting the note 2. I might get a maxx HD for the heck of it... but I doubt it. :)

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
if i could do 1400 to 1500 i would buy both phones .. i think i will just stick with the note at full retail :(

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
if i could do 1400 to 1500 i would buy both phones .. i think i will just stick with the note at full retail :(

You've seen that s3 commercial right?? The one where all of the iphone users were saying "we'll get that next time right?"

That's how I feel about moto as of late.. its not cool, but it seems true.. :eek:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Very interesting video. It makes sense that I have had no problems with data because I always slap a gel case on asap when I get a phone.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very interesting video. It makes sense that I have had no problems with data because I always slap a gel case on asap when I get a phone.

And you're 3G only aren't you? I've had zero problems on 3G, and even when I've had problems on 4G, it still hasn't actually dropped data and the transition has been seamless.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I am 3g at home and many other places I spend a lot of time, some places weaker than home but I always have 3g data, even when other phones/other carriers can't get anything.

The last couple weeks I have spent a lot of time in the city (with strong 4g) and I have yet to lose 4g or trade off to 3g while there.

I'm going to have to give this a test next time I'm in the city with my case off and see what happens.