Don't forget to make an introduction thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JohnDroid

DroidForums.net is a very friendly community and we like to know a bit about our members!

Why not make a thread in this section and tell us a bit about yourself, your current phones (and future phones) and the reason why you may be interested in a Droid phone.

You can start a new thread in this section just for your introduction via this link:

http://www.droidforums.net/forums/new-member-introductions-site-assistance.6/create-thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Coloneldave

Reaction score
Well, since you asked, I'll tell a little about myself, where I have been for the last 32 years up the Technology Yellow Brick road from my first personal computer - Model 1 Radio Shack with kludgy disk drive and an acoustic modem which cost me $4,500 in 1977. The little portable Droid I have in my hand for $200 is more powerful, flexible, and useful than any of the computers, large and small, servers to laptops I have had in between.

Now it struck me when I linked up both with my first realtime chat with a youngster half a country away, and asynchronous BBS-type conversation (called Blogs today) on the very first public dial-up 'conversation' system - The Source (before Compuserve or any other later one) that this would spur a global revolution of 'personal' communications, creation, economics, and even politics.

But since I knew that so long as people - especially in rural America and remote and rural everywhere else, had to be connected by wires - whether telephone lines, or Internet fiber or copper cables, that the revolution would be confined to urban places.

So I was thrilled when the love of my life when I was 13 and she was 25 - no less than the 'most beautiful woman in the world' Hedy Lamar - 1940's actress - actually invented in 1941 by US Patent the beginnings of what YOU know today as Wi-Fi (unlicensed, secure, broadband wireless). For there was no 'communications cost' ala phone companies between two radios, only the cost of the two radios and the internet costs beyond. Oh sure 'Cell Phone Companies' like Verizon charge for traffic, BUT the wi-fi feature of the Droid can connect up to any other wi-fi base station at no cost 'in between'. (and even the cell phone companies adapted what Hedy invented with her 'frequency hopping' patent into CDMA - relatively 'secure' voice communications)

Even with the relatively low power permitted by the FCC for unlicensed wireless bands - I still as far back as 1990 was able to link two towns in Colorado 30 miles (line of sight, at ZERO cost between the two pre-wi-fi radios (902-928MHZ frequency hopper radios) while US West wanted $2,000 a month for the wired 45 miles between the same two points. THAT ability completed the world revolution of personal computing-communications) For years later I helped in 2004, when I was just a lad of 75 Sherpas at 15,000 feet up on the slopes of Mount Everest connect up Sherpa kids 5 miles away by-relayed wi-fi, to the nearest 'satellite-base' Internet to learn, via Skype, oral English from a Sherpa in Pittsburgh, PA so they could break out of only carrying heavy loads the rest of their lives at $5 a day UNLESS with English they could break out of their dead end lives, and see the rest of the world, make a living, before going back to Nepal and help their children grow and become educated in the ways of the modern world.

I am seeing, at 81, the little Droid as opening up the next generation of global connectivity at very low cost. So I will sing its praises (in ASCII songs), and work at making it do things as yet undreamed. Thanks to Google, Motorola, Verizon - and Hedy Lamar! I might even have my descendants bury me with my little Droid! (all I need is a little wire from a small solar panel in my gravestone) Who knows? You may be chatting with me after my carbon self is gone!

I better start working on those apps it will need!

Last edited:

hrhkee

Reaction score
Howdy:

I am HRH Kee; King of the MAD people: An old programmer who just comes up with IT solutions to save companies money.

I love technology and I hate fads, unjust cons, liars and cheaters and even more so I hate when those things mix. My goal is to have technology do more for us than it does today. I mean it and my next target (when I get my DROID) is to solve this riddle, If you have a WIFI capable smart phone and a MIFI device - why does Verizon and SPrint charge you for two broadband accounts? Hmmmm?

I have been using windows mobile on the HP IPAQ before there was such a thing called a smartphone. I just ordered a DROID and the anticipation is killing me. When I get it - I plan to put it through its paces. I will find out if it is a gimmick or a real step forward in technology.

Please put up with my sick sense of humour. I mean well.

mydroid09

Reaction score
Hey guys,

New Droid user looking to learn more about my droid and its endless possibilities!

SoccerDroid

Reaction score
ME

I am a "second generation" smart phone user. I switched from a Blackberry Curve (Alltel) to the Droid (Verizon) on the 18th of November. At first, I didn't like it and was going to switch over to the Storm 2 but decided to "keep it through the weekend and then take it back". I have had it ever since and LOVE it now.

We live in South Georgia where I coach soccer, thus the name...

zingersworld

Reaction score
I am known as zingerworld. I got a Droid 11/6 and love most of the features. Can't get my email to work except GMail. Hope to learn.

hesiquio

Reaction score
hello everybody, i new in this forum and new on android.... this phone is my first android device and i think is a xtreamly nice phone my last fone was a moto q9m...

zingersworld

Reaction score
I am new to this forum. Forgive me if I am breaking the rules. I thought I had introduced myself as zingersworld. I am actually also known as Carole. I purchased a Blackberry Storm in Feb. and was chomping at the bit until the Droid came out. I had difficulty getting my email set up except for the Gmail. I went to three different Verizon stores and got no help whatsoever. Tonight my web server finally was able to give me the necessary settings that I needed to manually input and Yahoo....I can finally get my emails,.:icon_ banana: I only had until 12/6 to return my Droid and I loved everything else about it. Now I am happy.

Elaine1121

Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm new to the Droid. Although I'm pretty happy with it I have my complaints, one of which is the fact that in order to remove an application you have to go into it from the Market Place to uninstall. If there's another way to do it, let me know.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm new to the Droid. Although I'm pretty happy with it I have my complaints, one of which is the fact that in order to remove an application you have to go into it from the Market Place to uninstall. If there's another way to do it, let me know.

download Quick Uninstaller from the market. :)

hrhkee

Reaction score
Can you say not ready yet?

This is nowhere ready to compete with a windows mobile pro phone. Not even close. Typical hype.. it is a threat to an iphone but lets get real. Two days with it and I am still thinking of cancelling my vzw account.
No curser so typing this is guess work.
Cannot find apps to transition from wm6.1
Cannot find apps to manage blue tooth devices properly. Expensive stereo headset and car have no Obex controls. Cannot control phone media. Audio via bt garbled. No services via bt. Bt paired but not connected and will not connect without repairing. COME ON. Google are u serios? Did you beta test this stuff?

Have u ever heard of Ubuntu. That is the mark for non mac and non microsoft to hit.

Thed most damaging this this Pos has done to me, wasted my 600 contacts pim data. By uploading to google to sync here I lost the ability to edit my pim data locally and efficiently, wasted customer data like spouse, kids, birthdays, aniversaries, key notes and events (Like Outlook), cannot read my hundreds of notes or .pwi because there is no transition strategy in place.

I will play withit for a while and then go get my tilt.

phillybadass

Reaction score
Well Hello Droid Forum! I am phillybadass (originally from Philly but stationed in Texas currently). I purchased my Moto Droid two weeks ago and have been completely satisfied thus far. It does all of the basic things that I need a phone to do and am currently looking for ways to expand my needs and make the phone do more.

jessnut

Reaction score
hello!
i just bought the droid eris
i am very happy with it :]
i do have a question however, how do i transfer videos from the phone to the pc?
-jessie

Status
Not open for further replies.