Dolphin HD sends URLs to their server, runs on boot

NoBloatware

Reaction score
See this topic at xda developers for more info: [PRIVACY] WARNING: Dolphin's collection of your browsing history - xda-developers

I really liked Dolphin HD, but with the latest update, it runs on boot for no good reason. But forget that, it secretly sends every URL that you click or visit, including secure (https) URLs with parameters to their server.

All I want is a decent browser I can trust that 1) let's me keep the user agent set to Desktop and 2) has tabs. I went searching last night. Firefox is better but not ready. Opera--I can't stand zooming every page, rendering issues, etc. Miren runs on boot. Maxthon, not bad but some nags. xScope is kind of a joke. The one I've found that is really slick is...

EDIT: never mind, Boat Browser also sends data to Boat's servers for every action...

My only qualm at this point is that there's a totally useless nav bar at the bottom that cannot be hidden. AND THAT IT COLLECTS USER DATA. Does anyone else have any recommendations for good browsers?

One more thing. If you're a Dolphin HD fan (or former fan) why not take a minute to review the app in the market? I've given them one star for their treachery.

Last edited:

svickstc

Reaction score
Oh snap, I currently use Dolphin HD due to the speed and ease of this browser...

But this coming to light is definitely going to change my mind..

I use to use opera, might go back to that

Good looking out!!

Would also like input on a fast browser that offers tabs, password remember, etc.

OP
NoBloatware

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Note that if you use Opera's turbo feature, it will forward all of your data through Opera's servers so that it can be compressed (and thereby sped up). I don't have a problem with Opera doing this because 1) it can be disabled 2) they make it clear what they're doing and 3) I trust Opera's devs. Still, I would like to use Opera but it is not quite there for me yet.

DrZenga

Reaction score
I'm not worried about it. I trust the devs behind dolphin HD as well.. What could they really do?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing this to light.

OP
NoBloatware

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I'm not worried about it. I trust the devs behind dolphin HD as well.. What could they really do?

Sell your data to advertisers. I guess if you're not worried then that's fine but I actually visit some web sites that rely on obfuscation for security. What I mean is, I don't want anyone knowing about those URLs. What if Dolphin's security is breached and all of those URLs are exposed? For example, Dolphin's crack team recently released all of their beta testers' email addresses by mistake.

I can understand that it might not be a big deal for some people but personally I don't want anyone spying on me, I don't want my browser running on boot, and I don't want to waste bandwidth and battery power for their silly spyware.

DELUXDroid

Reaction score
Bah... uninstalled now. I guess android browser it is for now (which I don't really mind anyways). I like Opera Mobile a lot too. Handles a lot of sites well that Android Browser doesn't decode just right.

OP
NoBloatware

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Sigh, this situation is freaking me out. I use the browser on my Droid more than any other app by far. Right now I can think of three plausible options:

1) stock browser (no tabs, can't make user agent setting stick)
2) use one of the "cleansed" dolphin apk's linked in the xda thread (so now you have to trust a stranger from a forum)
3) opera mobile (kinda frustrating given the slickness of many of the other browsers)

I'm going with Opera Mobile for now. I'm also thinking of revisiting a project I was working on a few months ago--a simple, fast, tabbed browser with desktop user agent setting. I actually got the basics up and running and even found a nice model to work off (the open source zirco browser). I stopped working on it because Dolphin got so good and I was satisfied. Now I want to get going on that project again. Of course by the time I finish it Firefox, Opera, or Chrome will probably be up to snuff.

OP
NoBloatware

NoBloatware

Reaction score
There has been an update to Dolphin HD. It no longer runs on boot and there is an explanation for the tracking of URLs:

Introducing Dolphin 7.0 for Android with Dolphin Connect

Supposedly turning off the webzine sync should disable the tracking--at least that's what it sounds like. EDIT: it has been confirmed that Dolphin's blog post is BS and that the newest version still sends all URLs to their server!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

bdub33

Reaction score
I use SKYFIRE and dolphin. Now I'm just using skyfire

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

bdub33

Reaction score
I haven't updated dolphin yet though. Should I not. Will I be OK?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
NoBloatware

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Supposedly skyfire has had privacy issues too. I know they send all of your data (not just URLs) through their servers.

Dolphin HD has been tracking URLs for several months now but latest update apparently ends the practice. See: Webzine Does Not Store User Data | Dolphin Browser

In future versions they say they will make the webzine tracking optional. I think that we can say the good guys won for now, at least on this app. I still can't wait for a decent version of Firefox, opera, or chrome.

I think I will be using the stock browser for visiting sensitive sites from now on.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I just wish miren was still being developed :(

my favorite by far

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
NoBloatware

NoBloatware

Reaction score
So Dolphin's devs said they removed the tracking, but they didn't. :mad::mad::mad:

Now there's a new update in the market. I'm guessing that it really does remove the tracking...

UPDATE: version 7.0.2 did remove the tracking

UPDATE: version 7.1.0 puts tracking back

Last edited: