Does the 2.0.1 update fix photo quality?

xderia

Reaction score
Did anybody compare picture quality before and after the update? Pictures taken in the same light and area?

Or did the update just fix the auto focus problem?

RLJSlick

Reaction score
I did and other then being a bet quicker I didn't noticed anything new about the photo quality. Don't get me wrong, the camera does work better it's just the resolution and quality have not changed.

OP
X

xderia

Reaction score
Will it help to use another photo application from the market to take pictures? Or will the quality be exactly the same?

fst aslp

Reaction score
My resolution was really small. I can't figure out how to change it back.

scratchiti

Reaction score
I'm still running 2.0 and the crazy thing is Google Goggles takes better pictures than the camera app. It's clearly a software issue. My pictures look like they're from a 2mp camera - my LG Dare took MUCH better pictures. I'll be very disappointed if 2.0.1 doesn't fix this.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Some people say that FxCamera takes better pictures. However, it does not use the flash even in complete darkness.

lemodular

Reaction score
I'm still running 2.0 and the crazy thing is Google Goggles takes better pictures than the camera app. It's clearly a software issue. My pictures look like they're from a 2mp camera - my LG Dare took MUCH better pictures. I'll be very disappointed if 2.0.1 doesn't fix this.

how do you know Goggles takes a better picture? Were you able to take two pictures, and down load it to your computer to do a side by side comparison?I have Goggles and can't figure out how to save the photos.

The camera on the Droid is not bad, but it's not great. No software is ever going to fix it. It's a hardware (sensor) issue. Unless the sensor is not truly a 5MP sensor and software was used to interpolate, the camera will never be better. It is possible however that software may be introduced to post process the captured image, but that would be bad too.

scratchiti

Reaction score
When you take a google goggles picture, you can view it before going to results - also, at the bottom of the result page, you can see the picture again. I compared by taking pictures of the exact same thing and then flipping back and forth between apps. Not 100% scientific, but gave me a good idea. Even just the viewer on google goggles seems to look sharper. Something about the light adjustment.

lemodular

Reaction score
Hard to compare on the Droid screen. Must compare on the PC, and for a true comparison, put it on a tripod, and timer your shutter.

droid100

Reaction score

I noticed this as well. Like, DRASTICALLY better...

It might be that the instantly resize, but the color and sharpness are better, on the droid screen itself.

Sad that the picture quality has not improved. My pictures are so noisy that I'm pretty much embarassed to post them. The video is excellent, so I don't get why the camera can't take a still.

OP
X

xderia

Reaction score
I got my phone today, and I cant believe how bad the pictures are. This is like going 10 years back in time! All my inside shots are so full of distortion! This camera is a big joke! Tomorrow I will test outside, hope they are fare better.

synctek

Reaction score
Here's one from outside - not too bad for 5mp camera. It suffers under low light though, you can see that in the shaded areas.

Attachments

• Outside.jpg
    Outside.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,773