Does MTP just suck that bad or do I have another problem?

nbucko

Reaction score
So I copied all of my music from my OG onto my computer which took maybe 15-20 minutes. Now trying to copy it onto my GN using MTP and its taking forever. It says its going to take over an hour and from the looks of how far along I am I'm starting to believe that's pretty accurate. I've read that MTP sucks for large numbers of files (which with album art etc I've got over 2000 files to transfer) but is this normal for MTP?

Edit: Nevermind, finally noticed that I wasn't using a high speed USB port. Changed to one of those and its going much faster. Mod, please close this thread.

Last edited:
OP
N

nbucko

Reaction score

flyinion

Reaction score
Hmm I'll have to try another port tonight then. I was using the USB 3.0 ports on the front of my case that can also be plugged into USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard (case is a HAF-X). I'm wondering if that's the problem. I had all kinds of random weirdness with the GNex last night and when I switched to PTP the tranfers were instant where before copying my old pictures folder with a couple hundred photos it's like it just sat there copying nothing on MTP. The bar didn't move and I didn't even get any time estimates or whatever. At one point I tried to delete a folder I'd made and it kept telling me it could delete it. Unplug and re-plug the phone in and the folder was already gone. This MTP/PTP stuff is definitely different.

edit: this is on Win7 64bit in case that matters at all. I have both the samsung drivers installed and set up ADB with the necessary stuff to unlock the bootloader and root even though I haven't gotten to that yet.

prowler85

Reaction score
Hmm I'll have to try another port tonight then. I was using the USB 3.0 ports on the front of my case that can also be plugged into USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard (case is a HAF-X). I'm wondering if that's the problem. I had all kinds of random weirdness with the GNex last night and when I switched to PTP the tranfers were instant where before copying my old pictures folder with a couple hundred photos it's like it just sat there copying nothing on MTP. The bar didn't move and I didn't even get any time estimates or whatever. At one point I tried to delete a folder I'd made and it kept telling me it could delete it. Unplug and re-plug the phone in and the folder was already gone. This MTP/PTP stuff is definitely different.

edit: this is on Win7 64bit in case that matters at all. I have both the samsung drivers installed and set up ADB with the necessary stuff to unlock the bootloader and root even though I haven't gotten to that yet.

Mine's being funny as well. Transferred about 10 GB of music yesterday and did fine - took maybe 30 minutes. Today, was copying photos, it got about 15 of them, then just sat there. No matter what I do now it just sits there and doesn't transfer. Was wondering if I had put too much on (still show about 7 GB free), so deleted about a gig of music, and still won't transfer anything. Trying it with a 21 kb file and it just sits there forever.

Should I reinstall the drivers or what? Anyone else having this problem?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine's being funny as well. Transferred about 10 GB of music yesterday and did fine - took maybe 30 minutes. Today, was copying photos, it got about 15 of them, then just sat there. No matter what I do now it just sits there and doesn't transfer. Was wondering if I had put too much on (still show about 7 GB free), so deleted about a gig of music, and still won't transfer anything. Trying it with a 21 kb file and it just sits there forever.

I believe this is a known issue as some ppl on twitter have also stated it. Its extremely annoying but I'm sure it'll get fixed. In the meantime adb works flawlessly.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Custom kernels will help with this I believe. Can't wait for some of those to roll out. Unless they have and I just never found any via Google search. Only saw ones for GSM G-Nexes.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Nbucko hit me up via pm if you want the thread closed but this looks to be a good thread. Your thread, your call :)

prowler85

Reaction score
Please leave it open. Still haven't solved my MTP issues. Was working great one minute, now can't transfer anything. Hopefully someone finds a resolution. Yes, dropbox is a workaround, but it's very slow and a much more complicated way to do it.

CSNeoM4A1

Reaction score

I am having the exact same problem and ran into the problem in the exact same way. Music sent just fine, but slow. Some pictures copied over fine, then it froze and will no longer transfer no matter how many times I try. Restarted pc and phone and nothing is helping.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Please leave it open, I have tried transferring files on xp, vista , and 7 with no luck except for using a ftp client to do it wirelessly.

I am going to spend some more time on this later tonight trying to figure out WTF is going on so I don't catch hell from the wife for spending so much time servicing my phone's needs rather than hers.