Does it bother you your mom might want a droid too

JayMonster

Reaction score
I'm seeing so many young people in their teens with Droids, Blackberry's. I'm not a parent but if I were there would be no way I would allow a teenager to own any smart phone. I would worry about unsupervised internet access.

Have you ever tried to use the Internet on a Blackberry? It might be a good way to teach a teenager the value of Patience. :laugh:

Takami826

Reaction score
I'm seeing so many young people in their teens with Droids, Blackberry's. I'm not a parent but if I were there would be no way I would allow a teenager to own any smart phone. I would worry about unsupervised internet access.

Have you ever tried to use the Internet on a Blackberry? It might be a good way to teach a teenager the value of Patience. :laugh:

My dad would have blown a gasket and been all ZOMG GOM PEDOPHILES YEARGH BOYS!!!! but my mom was more of the mindset 'you want it, get a job and pay for it yourself, leave me out of it'

so... I woulda had one at 16 LOL

Hooblaim

Reaction score
Well its probably because I am really computer savy and they trust me, I know probably more than my dad but my mom is an IT at Kaiser so yea. When we go to partys or something the rest of my family always ask me to help with there computers. I am also paying for the data plan via chores.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I would rather my mother want one than be walking around in a shopping center and see every 12 year old with bad hair, too much makeup and skinny jeans wanting and having the same phone as me(iphone). My mother is an intelligent successful business owner.

MrTommy

Reaction score
Nifty thread subject

Well, I'm one of those 60+'ers who just got the Droid about two weeks ago. I'm slow to upgrade, and have lived with 'dumb' phones since my first bag phone almost 16 years ago. From bag to LG510 to LGnv2, and now - the mighty Droid. I absolutely love this thing. Can't keep my hands off it. I'm a truck driver and I attach the phone to the windshield with a suction thingie. I'm calling all day (like most OTR drivers, believe it or not. Cell phones are the long distance CB's), and sending videos and text messages almost every time I stop. Can't get enough of this stuff.

Went down to Florida this past weekend to attend our daughter's wedding - Droid in hand. Took pictures and videos and immediately sent them back to relatives back here. If they didn't have vid capability on their phones, I simply emailed them - cuz you can with a Droid. I amazed even my son, who is a die hard iPhone (and Mac) guy.

I couldn't wait for our two years to be up to get mine, so I shelled out the big bucks. My wife (57) is hanging on, waiting for the two years to run out before she gets hers. We'll see. She claims she's SO used to her nv2 and the keyboard, she's not sure she can make the switch. As I just said, "we'll see".

And also, so far, I haven't had any of the problems and glitches others have complained about. Maybe I just haven't tried to fill it up with as many apps as possible. "Go slow - with haste", that's the motto. :bling:

Hooblaim

Reaction score
I would rather my mother want one than be walking around in a shopping center and see every 12 year old with bad hair, too much makeup and skinny jeans wanting and having the same phone as me(iphone). My mother is an intelligent successful business owner.

There is nothing wrong with skinny jeans!

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
MrTommy,

One of my partners at my office is 73 and has a droid!

Well, I'm one of those 60+'ers who just got the Droid about two weeks ago. I'm slow to upgrade, and have lived with 'dumb' phones since my first bag phone almost 16 years ago. From bag to LG510 to LGnv2, and now - the mighty Droid. I absolutely love this thing. Can't keep my hands off it. I'm a truck driver and I attach the phone to the windshield with a suction thingie. I'm calling all day (like most OTR drivers, believe it or not. Cell phones are the long distance CB's), and sending videos and text messages almost every time I stop. Can't get enough of this stuff.

Went down to Florida this past weekend to attend our daughter's wedding - Droid in hand. Took pictures and videos and immediately sent them back to relatives back here. If they didn't have vid capability on their phones, I simply emailed them - cuz you can with a Droid. I amazed even my son, who is a die hard iPhone (and Mac) guy.

I couldn't wait for our two years to be up to get mine, so I shelled out the big bucks. My wife (57) is hanging on, waiting for the two years to run out before she gets hers. We'll see. She claims she's SO used to her nv2 and the keyboard, she's not sure she can make the switch. As I just said, "we'll see".

And also, so far, I haven't had any of the problems and glitches others have complained about. Maybe I just haven't tried to fill it up with as many apps as possible. "Go slow - with haste", that's the motto. :bling:

debkasdan

Reaction score
I'm 63 and I have a Droid. One daughter has a BB hand-me down from my husband, and the other a plain vanilla LG, tho she would like an iPhone. Hoewver they really can't afford the data plans. My mom, 90, now sees my Google chat light on when she goes to email me from her computer (I guess because the phone is Google optimized) so she has taken to texting me during the day. It's very funny. She can't get into her Facebook acct (she believes because of a virus tho who knows) so she spends her time texting me!

Reaction score
My parents are in their late fifties and both have an Itard. They were impressed with my Droid. They barely know how to use the Itard I couldn't imagine turning them loose with a Droid. You do need to be somewhat tech savy to use a droid but that is what I like about it.:r_c:

boatman2220

Reaction score
My parents are in their late fifties and both have an Itard. They were impressed with my Droid. They barely know how to use the Itard I couldn't imagine turning them loose with a Droid. You do need to be somewhat tech savy to use a droid but that is what I like about it.:r_c:

Have you shown or steered them in the right directions any? Like some parents they may be more focused on everyday problems and haven't the time to fool around with a phone. Most people if shown what's possible and the basics of how, they get it. My 12yr old nephew had his Droid tricked out after a day. It's not that hard, just different than some people have seen before.

boatman2220

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, my nephew prefers to use the slide out keyboard, which I hardly ever use. Guess that comes from using a Storm before the Droid. I'll be 54yrs old next week. I showed him the basic to the Droid and he was off and running.

Big Lou

Reaction score
Not at all. My mother took advantage of the BOGO and got an Eris when I picked up my Droid. I'm glad she has one because now it's easier to address her questions. Before, if she had to call and ask a question about her phone, I couldn't help her much as I didn't know the inner workings of her handset.

Fraxinus

Reaction score
My gut reaction to the non-tech crowd jumping on the Droid bandwagon was negative. I saw a woman at a Verizon store asking the reps to set up everything for her and I was thinking "WHY did you get such an advanced mobile device if you don't know how to use it and won't *learn* how to use it?!?" After some introspection though, it occurs to me that wide adoption is the very thing that propels technology further, faster. The more users the Droid (and other Android devices) attract, the better off the entire user community will be. So, bring on the techno-noobs; and let me know if you need help accessing the interweb and checking your electronic mail from your new phone...

boatman2220

Reaction score
My gut reaction to the non-tech crowd jumping on the Droid bandwagon was negative. I saw a woman at a Verizon store asking the reps to set up everything for her and I was thinking "WHY did you get such an advanced mobile device if you don't know how to use it and won't *learn* how to use it?!?" After some introspection though, it occurs to me that wide adoption is the very thing that propels technology further, faster. The more users the Droid (and other Android devices) attract, the better off the entire user community will be. So, bring on the techno-noobs; and let me know if you need help accessing the interweb and checking your electronic mail from your new phone...

I agree, some people will never take the time or put out the effort to use the Droid. For the most part, shown a few features and some tips, people adapt. I had them set mine up in-store also, just easier and meant I could start poking around sooner.