Does it bother you your mom might want a droid too

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by sillyrabbitt123, Dec 14, 2009.

1. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 New Member

This is the one thing that bothered me (past tense) becuase I like technology and like to have things others dont. And I dont want what any person on the street wants however it hit me the phone might be the same but obviously its what you/people do with their droids.

Bottom-line the phone might be the same but the users are on all different spectrums which makes the phone different for each.

The thing is a winner for mom or me! :)
  2. falconsfins734

falconsfins734 New Member

Funny topic because my mom just got one and now she won't stop bugging me about how to do this and how to do that. It doesn't bother me in the least though because like you said, the customization on this thing is so vast that everyone's phone will be different for each of its users
  3. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm almost 50 yrs. old and I always want the most advanced phone out there. It was like a dream come true when I worked for VZW and got a new phone every 10 months. The CS job was a burnout job, but at least I had the latest and greatest. Before my Droid I had a Storm, which I got on 11/21/08 - loved the phone, but WOW, no comparison to the Droid. Now I have a co-worker in my new job who is young enough to be my daughter who just got a Droid. She comes to me every day and says "ok so what did you learn new today". So, I might be old enough to be your old man, but it doesn't mean I don't have the knowledge and skill to use my Droid to its fullest.

I'm sure I speak for everyone from my generation.
  4. JayMonster

JayMonster New Member

This is a funny topic for me also. I have always enjoyed having a... unique device. Trying to stay one step ahead, and with a device nobody else had. There was one drawback to gadgets like that... they rarely have accessories.

But with the Droid, I can enjoy both. I know enough about the phone to code some small apps for myself (still in progress unfortunately) and how to use each and every feature on the phone (well, maybe not yet, but I am getting there), and yet there are still enough users that I trust it will be supported and have the "toys" that I have always wished would come to a device I am using will actually be there.
  5. Droids

Droids New Member

I'm over 50 and always stayed away from smart phones, because they weren't all that smart, and the high cost of the data plans turned me off. I work in IT full time and always know about the latest and greatest in technology because it applies to my job in many areas. I support people with BB's and other so called smart phones. I finally made the move to the Droid because it really does exactly what I always wanted in a personal communications device, everything. Nothing to date has matched it, not even that other phone, especially on that other network, because first and foremost it has to make and receive phone calls without dropping.

Having said all that, well, Mom's pushing 90 and she's finally able to work her computer well enough, but I don't think she has the eyesight to read that small hi-res screen well enough. Older folks didn't grow up with high-tech stuff so it's harder for them to adapt. I remember teaching my Dad about default settings for something and he couldn't get his head around it, kept saying 'default' is when you miss the mortgage payment. I intend to keep a personal communications device by my side until I croak.
  6. sillyrabbitt123

This is a funny thread in a good way and please do not take me the wrong way God Bless the elderly, middle aged and young alike! All the power to everyone who wants to better themselves with technology or in life period!

The great thing about it is I am obsessed with the Droid so in the end I am the one helping my mom or anyone that is interested so I am one step ahead.

But obviously I cannot do it alone this forum is the best place on earth and I personally thank everyone here who has helped me thus far as well.
  7. Hooblaim

Hooblaim New Member

I have a droid and I told my mom to get an eris and she said eh and the next day I was on my moto droid for like 8 hours and my mom said to get off of it and I'm like don't be jelous mom! Also I kinda hate when like my best friend copys my phone but doesn't bug me much.
  8. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

All I have to say is, if your mom bought it for you, you have no right to complain. Just be thankful she got you the phone AND the extra $30/data plan that comes with it.
  9. Hooblaim

Hooblaim New Member

I bought the phone but she pays for the data plan =) also I don't mind if she gets it, this thread is just funny.
  10. korky122

korky122 New Member

my mom had no idea it was a phone. she might like it if she saw solitare on it. she is always steeling my computer playing solitare.
  11. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

hahaha agreed. My parents are paying for my data plan as well and i am more than grateful. Just 5 months from now that data plan will equal the price of the phone, really catches up to ya....

Besides the Droid is so customizable you won't ever get them mixed up. A friend and I took a bunch of iPhones and mixed them up a bit, it was funny seeing the owners scramble trying to figure out which phone was theirs.
  12. Hooblaim

Hooblaim New Member

Yea my computer teachdr has a iphone 3g and I showed him my droid and he was amazed about the way I customized it.
  13. budchickie

budchickie New Member

I saw this posting and immediately had to read it. I just got my Droid yesterday and I absolutely love it! Had the storm before, no comparison at all! I thought it was funny though because my step dad got the droid and my mom got the droid eris last weekend, so we all have it. But they were asking me how to use it before I even had my own or a chance to really check it out. Amazing phone.
  14. droiddict

droiddict New Member

Two of my sons would have to come to me to learn this phone. The third one could have designed and written code for it. He inherited more of my skills :)
  15. 707BellyDancer

707BellyDancer New Member

LMAO funny post I am a sexy mom of 3 and I'm 46 I got my droid and love it came from a Stormie. I have not look back.
  16. Deuel

Deuel New Member

Hehe! This thread's a riot. My twenty-something kids are locked into BB's for the next year and are jealous of Dad's new toy. :biggrin:
  17. sillyrabbitt123

Thats great all :) love the stories!

The first part is the best here is

Droids new moto

"from sexy moms

to Jr. to Gramps"

droid has something for all
  18. Nidisa

Nidisa New Member

I"m a 48 year old mom of 2 young men, and it's ME who has all the cool new tech stuff, not them! Wanna know why? Because I'm the one who can afford it :icon_ devil:

They of course want a Droid...but when they can't even feed their own cats...come on....are you kidding??
  19. catsailr

catsailr New Member

I'm a 64 year old grandfather and my 6 grandkids all want my droid.
  20. sillyrabbitt123

rock on! go you :) thats great!