1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Does Hulu and Netflix stream on the Droid?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by cb3FSU, Dec 9, 2009.

1. cb3FSU

cb3FSU New Member

I am waiting for mine to come in the mail and Im wondering if you can stream from these sites as you would from a laptop.

Anyone tried this yet?
  2. M1dnite

M1dnite Guest

Nope, since there is no flash on the Droid as of yet.
  3. taypotts

taypotts New Member

Just wait till next summer :) or maybe sooner
  4. cb3FSU

cb3FSU New Member

If there is no flash how does it play youtube? I thought that was flash based? I thought all of the apps were created in flash?

How could they not have flash for this thing?
  5. taypotts

taypotts New Member

Only the Htc Hero, I guess the Eris support native flash. No other phone does. Adobe Flash Labs are working on getting it to all phones, except the iPhone :)
  6. paulmac

paulmac New Member

You can play you tube videos on the droid. Regarding flash I was on a web page with mine the other day that requires Adobe Flash player. The content would not display but the message from Adobe was that a flash player for Android is due out in January.
  7. cb3FSU

cb3FSU New Member

January sounds much better than next summer. 16 gigs gets swallowed up pretty quickly when you start loading up video files. Streaming Netflix and Hulu will be awesome and a huge space saver.
  8. AgainstGrn

AgainstGrn Guest

hulu

I am going to find out tonight
  9. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 is coming to Android™ 2.0 and future releases in the first half of 2010 Copyright © 2009 Adobe Systems Incorporated.
  10. cgarnes

cgarnes New Member

YAY!!!! I have been waiting for this, as have many others!
  11. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Lol let's not be vague there adobe lol. First half.. sounds awesome. Figured a company like adobe would alittle better at predicting things then that.
  12. souljerr

souljerr New Member

Probably want to have wiggle room if they have to release in March. Mabye we'll get luck and see it in January. Can't wait for this though.
  13. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

knowing it's on it's way is good enough for now...
  14. chilibilly22

chilibilly22 New Member

netflix streamin'

I don't think you'll be able to stream netflix even when flash comes out because on the netflix site it says minimum system requirements are a 1 ghz processor. I believe the droid is only 600 mghz. Anyone got an idea about this? Flash support is definetly coming soon and I also would love to stream netflix.
  15. moosc

moosc New Member

at this moment no phone supports flash or have the hardware not even the hero or eris. the only phone in android line up to be able to handle the adobe flash will be the motorola droid no other phone in the android line up has the hardware to handle it.
  16. taypotts

taypotts New Member

17. moosc

moosc New Member

ok let me correct you this flash lite not full flash 10 which will only be available on moto droid:icon_ devil: my friends dumb phone has the same flash as the Hero.:icon_eek:

the reason for using Flash Lite is quite simple actually. The reason is the difference in raw CPU (processor) power between PC and mobile devices. A flash application can easily bring a low-cpu device to a grinding halt with excessive video framerates, massive sound files, and complex animation, not to mention simple programming loops too. It also has "mobile specific" commands, like detecting the signal strength, battery status, vibrate etc, which the PC version doesn't. Adobe's Flash lite 2 for example, is basically a much less sophisticated version, in fact its similar to Flash 5 up to Flash 7 in terms of capabilities. Later PC flash player releases for PC/Mac etc had more processor intensive instructions, so by Adobe using older tech, they simply insured the widest possible target audience, otherwise people would open a CPU intensive flash file, and it would crash their device/phone, giving them a bad reputation as system platform creators. Don't forget that smartphones are multitasking, and are consequently doing a lot of instructions in the background while you are surfing or playing the file, so any app which brings the system to a halt threatens both the user experience and the stability of the machine, after all the last thing you want to do is reset your phone every time you see flash content. Interestingly, the new Google Motorola Droid Android phones allegedly have built in "full Flash 10".
  18. taypotts

taypotts New Member

Ok I never said full flash I said flash. I doubt highly that your friends non smart phone can play games on mini clips? We were just talking about flash in general not the specs of the phone. Thanks though.
  19. Elysian

Elysian New Member

The videos that cell phones stream from youtube are not Flash videos, they use the 3GP codec, which is pretty universal amongst cell phones.
  20. Elysian

Elysian New Member

Don't forget the Samsung Moment, it's processor may be ARM 11 based, but it's running at 800mhz, it's a powerhouse as well.
Search tags for this page

motorola razr as hotspot to run netflix hulu