Does Haptic Feedback Kill the Battery

shugknight

Reaction score
It's a simple question, it's not Rocket Science (Taken from SNL Skit of Harey Carey)

Does enabling Haptic Feedback kill the battery faster?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No. It doesn't ever show up as having any use in my battery usage indicator.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sure. That response isn't magic. Requires electricity.

Well, of course but does it overall use the battery. No way.

Well, don't know about yours, but my Droid isn't solar powered. If the question is whether haptic feedback is a significant drain on the battery compared to not using it, I'd think the answer depends upon how much one is using a keyboard.

OP
S

shugknight

Reaction score
Maybe you didn't understand my question, or you were being a dick. But I asked if the feedback kills the battery, not if it uses the battery.

Maybe I'd put my question in a form that you'd be able to understand...

Does Haptic feedback significantly kill the battery like GPS and Bluetooth does when it's enabled?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe you didn't understand my question, or you were being a dick. But I asked if the feedback kills the battery, not if it uses the battery.

Maybe I'd put my question in a form that you'd be able to understand...

Does Haptic feedback significantly kill the battery like GPS and Bluetooth does when it's enabled?

No. And just like Bluetooth and GPS it only uses the battery when you use it.

nphil

Reaction score
hard to say, it depends on your use. There's a little motor inside your droid that rotates to create the vibrating effect, so battery life impact depends on how much you use it. I wouldn't be too worried about it, your phone vibrates when on silent mode or notifications etc too.

ChickenboneBob

Reaction score
You might find this useful information, guys. Our company, Immersion, recently ran a battery consumption study for Haptic feedback on mobile devices. Typically only 1% to 2% is consumed, that's it. Our perception is that the Haptic feedback surely must be sucking the life out of our batteries, but our processors, screens, sensors & communiction components consume FAR more. So, next time you want to save battery, forget about haptics and dim your screen a bit or put your phone in airplane mode. That study I mentioned can be found here: The Impact of Haptics on Battery Life (Spoiler Alert: Do you ever turn off your car radio to save gas?) | Haptic Antics