dock magnet sensor?

boris111

Reaction score
Homemade Dock

Nope... they actually did change the design here... no magnets involved... its they way the usb cable is wired... that's why the instructions warn against plugging this cable directly into the phone or your laptop... this cable can be used between a charger and the dock only... when tested on a cable tester it shows up as wired wrong... (wired wrong for USB standards but wired right to make the dock work properly and feed the audio to the 3.5mm jack) Another plus for this car dock... it leaves the camera out in the open... love it.. i've used it as a dash cam several times already and the results are nice... the EIS deals with the vibrations like a champ
This will throw a little snag in my plan. I bought a Droid 3 assuming I could make my own custom dock like this: Thice.nl » iPod dock adapter for the Motorola Droid/Milestone Are you able to determine the pinouts so I could adapt to this non usb standard?

audischwaaa

Reaction score
Do you know which pins are different?

I know someone will know the answer cause droidforums is full of android geniouses, and then there are people like me, wannabe android geniouses.

Problem: I don't want to spend uber $$ to buy a docking station that is little more than a glorified kickstand
Hopeful solution: rewire a standard micro usb cable to fool the D3 into thinking its docked to either a cardock or multimedia dock (as the D3 no longer uses magnets)

I want to manually reassign the pins, in other words cut open the usb cable and switch the wires.

I'm assuming that it is still a standard five pin usb cable, but the pins are switched.

If i'm right, through my research, there is also a difference with the pin assignments for the car dock and multimedia dock. So, in essence there are three different cords (one for the car dock, one for the multimedia dock, and the regular/standard micro usb cable)
Again, if i'm right, it is a usb 2.0 device...

If i'm wrong about anything let me know!

This table shows the standard pin assignments
VBUS
Red
+5 V
D−
White
Data −
D+
Green
Data +
ID
None
Permits distinction of A plug from B plug
* A plug: connected to Signal ground
* B plug: not connected
GND
Black
Signal ground

If anyone knows for sure (as I don't want to fry anything) please PM me so I can make a DIY multimedia dock and car dock because ~30-50 bucks each is highway robbery/just plain wrong...Motorola you should know that a lot of people buy products so they can have fun modding and DIYing...were not all sheeple/rich. Motorola you make me mad :icon_evil: