dock magnet sensor?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by shiek403, Jul 10, 2011.

1. shiek403

shiek403 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone found it yet so i can redo my DYI car dock to work with my D3??
    pix would be a nice plus!

2. TyrantII

TyrantII Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Will the D3 fit nice in a D2 mount BTW? I have one for my D1, and am thinking of upgrading to the D3.

3. leobg

leobg Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I believe there is something more than just a magnet this time, since phone can distinguish between different docs (based on the demo videos on Moto site)
    D1/2 dock is not compatible with D3 due to different size and connector location.

As a second note I really hope it is not magnet based (car/desk dock detection) since it is pain to find magnet latch belt pouch that doesn't interfere with the phone when stored inside..

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

4. slally

slally New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I went to the Verizon store to see if I could buy a d3 dock (coming from OG), they didn't have one. He showed me the d2 dock which had integrated power (not sure if this is the one you're talking about), but the power port is in a different location on the d3 so it won't work.

5. spruleme

spruleme New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm receiving the dock in the mail and it should be in by Wednesday. I'll post pictures then from what I can tell it is like the multimedia dock, which has a seat and connects the hdmi and micro usb ports. Last Thursday morning I wake up to go order the phone and accessories and find there's a listing of the multimedia dock but with the picture of the car dock and there was no other listing for the car dock. So I thought what the hell and bought it. Sure enough it was the multimedia dock.

#5 spruleme, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  6. duckworth

duckworth New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my dock today, part # MOTDRD3DTC and it feels very light and cheap compared to the droid x and droid 1 docks. It doesn't seem to have a magnet from what I can tell, I think it detects it from the usb plug or something, but that is just a guess. I tried getting the droid 3 to switch into dock mode by holding it against my droid x and droid 1 docks but nothing happened.

I don't like the night dock mode on the droid 3, it only has temperature and not the forecast, and doesn't list the current date. It also doesn't seem to show the charging percentage. I still need to fiddle with it some more, but I have a feeling I will be trying to get the one from my droid x on here.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

#6 duckworth, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  7. Fr33dom

Fr33dom Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Ran a magnet all over the back and side of the phone. Nothing happened.

8. spruleme

spruleme New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I received my car dock and have used for it's first full work day. Let me start off by saying, it's kinda worth the absorbent amount of money verizon is selling it for. Alot of thought went behind this design. First off the mount's neck is a lot shorter than the droid 1's. There is no magnet functionality anymore, it seems at first glance. The phone drops into a fitted holder w/ micro usb for the phone. What is really nice about this is that they included a sleeve for making the dock applicable to the phone without a case on it but without the sleeve the phone fits perfectly with a case in the dock and plugged in the usb port nicely. This was a huge pain that I lived with the droid 1. I always had to remove the rear casing and then would mount my phone with the keyboard slid out. The included usb cable is nice and long and of nice construction. It has a 3.5mm headphone jack for output to your car stereo's aux jack. Another nice feature but this certainly did not work with Last.fm today and I had no mp3's onboard to test with. One serious problem I am having in simply the detection of being docked is sometimes spotty. Another thing, the top latch for the dock actually triggers the car dock recognition and charging. Also, oddly enough I tried docking without the usb charging cable plugged into the dock and latched the phone and it went into car mode. This makes me feel like there is possibly two magnets in this thing or some kind of relay in there. I don't think I will be the brave one to rip it apart. The car dock app is really nice though, if you select the navi shortcut on it, it'll display a modded google maps with speed, compass, and a blue dot for your positioning. It also has 3 links along the side for traffic layer, link for the actual google navigation app, and the third I can't remember atm. It's late so i'll post pictures tomorrow.

#8 spruleme, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  9. psychotic_penguin

psychotic_penguin Active Member

Ratings:
    +38
    This is my next purchase, thanks for the info

10. spruleme

spruleme New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so here are the pictures of the dock. I was wrong about the possibility of a 2 magnet system and the latch having anything to do with the dock recognition. The dock app is launched as soon as you jack into the usb port. It just seemed to me that the latch had something to do with it because of myself mounting with my phone's case still on. It's a looser fit and that is why I get sporadic dock app launching. I'm unsure how others will fit with the gel/silicone case as I am using an aftermarket soft plastic case.

11. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +753
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    The Motorola Droid phones have always been able to distinguish between different docks with magnets. I believe it's based upon their location. I had the home and car docks for both the original Droid and the Droid X. Each phone could tell which dock it was in and would bring up the correct display accordingly. So I'm sure nothing has changed there.

12. b00mb00mchuck

b00mb00mchuck Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Nope... they actually did change the design here... no magnets involved... its they way the usb cable is wired... that's why the instructions warn against plugging this cable directly into the phone or your laptop... this cable can be used between a charger and the dock only... when tested on a cable tester it shows up as wired wrong... (wired wrong for USB standards but wired right to make the dock work properly and feed the audio to the 3.5mm jack)

Another plus for this car dock... it leaves the camera out in the open... love it.. i've used it as a dash cam several times already and the results are nice... the EIS deals with the vibrations like a champ

Search tags for this page
android car home senser
disable droid magnet
disable magnet sensor s4

droid 3 magnet

droid razr dock sensors
droidbionic magnet sensor
magnet sensor
motorola droid x disable dock sensor
navigation dock sensor
where is the magnet in a droid 4 dock