Do you use the slideout keyboard

bacalao

Reaction score
I'm glad I've never had a phone with keyboard or else I may have not taken to it as strongly as I have now. I use it all the time. It is especially helpful for those of us that text in different languages and the autocorrect just gets in the way. (Spanish and Japanese).

*I meant full keyboard

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Used it when I first got it but realized how terribILL the keyboard is and I rarely use it now. Just not very useable for guys with big thumbs.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If my phone is landscape the keyboard is out 100% of the time. The on-screen for landscape is pointless for me with a full keyboard inches below :). Not too mention I don't like when the on-screen landscape hogs up all the screen real estate when I open it up. The slide out keyboard lets me keep the whole display for what I want it for... to DISPLAY!

It's a real pain using the slide out in portrait however... this is one of Droids pitfalls :biggrin:

bacalao

Reaction score
It's interesting to see the "always use" and "never use" even in the polls. Physical and touchscreen options were a good idea to appeal to the most people. At least the k.b. doesn't make it unnecessarily thick and bulky!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's interesting to see the "always use" and "never use" even in the polls. Physical and touchscreen options were a good idea to appeal to the most people. At least the k.b. doesn't make it unnecessarily thick and bulky!

the variety is a big appeal for the Droid I believe. Whether you hate/love the physical keyboard this phone has enough to keep everyone happy!

gsDroid

Reaction score
I'm more accurate and faster with the virtual landscape keyboard. I use the slideout keyboard when I want to use the d-pad for more accurate navigation in some text situations.

me_droid

Reaction score
I use it when I'm not in a hurry and can focus on it. Main problem is my thumbs are too big for the tiny keys so I'm constantly hitting the wrong key. The petite sales girl who demo'd the Droid for me in the Verizon store flew right along, plus her longish nails helped a lot. I do like having it as an option - agree that they could have left the updown left right toggle out and increased size of keys - then it would be perfect!

angelman

Reaction score
The trick I found to using the touch keyboard is to not think too much about what youre typing. When I first started I tried to make sure that every key press was correct and that every letter was correct. This is wrong Now I just type as fast as I can not worrying too much if I hit the right key or not, the auto correct does the rest. It's a bit like using T9 (if you worry about what's on the screen with T9 you get terribly confused, it's faster to just look at the letters youre pressing because the software will do the rest). I can now type way faster on the touch screen than the real keyboard this way, it's almost a zen thing once you get in the zone. Of course I do have to go back and correct some words which autocorrect screwed up but it's pretty good in general.