Do You Lock Your Device?

Mateles

Reaction score
I do indeed use the pattern lock for a couple of reasons. First, sometimes I will store voicemail passcodes inside of my contact information (so I don't have to manually type in the numbers each time). Second, my web browser is already logged into things like Google Docs, and I don't want strangers to be able to view some of those documents. Third, and most importantly, given the full integration of gmail, a stranger could potentially access a whole lot of personal information about me through my email archive... probably even the name of my banking institution and what credit cards I use. So, for me, better safe than sorry. Heck, for all I know, they could change my gmail password and take over the majority of my online identity.

Hate to think I could accidentally drop my phone somewhere and give up the family jewels.

Although I will say there is no storage at all of account numbers or *truly* sensitive information in any form (even in gmail). And I never log into banking/credit sites from my phone... ever. My personal paranoia takes over at that point.

Interesting post about the fingerprints. Hadn't thought of that!

Thanks for the discussion gang...
I agree - my phone automatically logs me into many accounts, like Gmail, that I wouldn't want anyone else to access. An unlock pattern isn't any more difficult than the unprotected unlock, so why not?

I also recommend the "Owner" app. This lets you put your contact information right on the lock screen. Not much point in putting your phone # here :) but I've got my name and email address listed.

The only drawback I see is that you can't change the volume settings with it locked this way without unlocking. Or can you?

Rikpa

Reaction score
. i always thought that it would be funny to have some kind of alarm that could go off if someone was to mess with it in the locked position, that would get em to keep their fingers to themselves once in awhile. :) thta would actually be a pretty cool app to create, they could call it like "the watchdog" or something..

I tried to find the thread and couldn't, but someone else posted a thread on an app that has an alarm on the Droid in case someone messes with it. If I can find the link, I'll post it, but it sounds like it does what you're describing.
The app you're looking for is, "siren"...and its free. Haven't downloaded it, so if you try it let us know if it works as advertised!

Dr. Tenma

Reaction score
I do simply because I don't want it coming alive in my pocket and calling people, buying apps, etc.

OP
ipawd1

ipawd1

Reaction score
Nah, I'm like everyone else, I don't let this sucker out of my site. Including my wife. Do you here me Tiger Wood?!?! LOL
TigerElinWoods_468x473.jpg

DroidFan

Reaction score
I also recommend the "Owner" app. This lets you put your contact information right on the lock screen. Not much point in putting your phone # here :) but I've got my name and email address listed.

I just DL'd this app to the phone. LOVE IT! I did put my home number on the front, with my work address and my email address. I also put a couple of ICE #'s (in the event they can't get a hold of me or if I'm in an accident) in the text box after my contact info... makes it REALLY easy to have that information handy without needing the phone to be unlocked.

biteme

Reaction score
Droid locked and loaded (lol) to keep anyone from messing with it or accidentally calling some one (you know, butt or pocket dialing :icon_eek:). Created my own custom pattern (I clean the screen with my soft shirt to eliminate the evidence). :icon_ banana:

jamiehughes

Reaction score
DroidFan;58967.[/quote said:
The app you're looking for is, "siren"...and its free. Haven't downloaded it, so if you try it let us know if it works as advertised!

that is close but i would like one that does this when someone trys to unlock your phone, or even if the screen started to flash and wouldnt stop until you put in the write slide pattern, it wouldnt have to necessarily be an audible alarm. seems like it woudl be a cool app...

dberthia

Reaction score
I think you're referring to the "Contact Owner" app that displays your info on the unlock screen. "Owner" just displays the info when you run the app and is not very useful. Note that when you run Contact Owner you get warnings telling you that HTC builds might crash your system, but you can ignore these on the Droid.