Display blinks off then on during call

Tomedvan

Reaction score
I've had it happen about 3 times where during a call i move phone away from my face and the screen starts blanking out and then on, like there is a broken wire. Once it wouldn't come back on so I couldn't hang up. Is this a common issue? My Verizon guy said he'd replace it, but I figured that I'd try to find out if this is phone wide issue or just an isolated issue with my unit.

Trip

Reaction score
The phone has a proxmity sensor by the ear piece, when you put it by your face it turns off the display so you dont accidentally hit shortcuts etc. with your cheek bone. If yours flashes on and off alot or doesnt come back on after a call, then the sensor is probably bad, take it back for replacement.

souljerr

Reaction score
The phone has a proxmity sensor by the ear piece, when you put it by your face it turns off the display so you dont accidentally hit shortcuts etc. with your cheek bone. If yours flashes on and off alot or doesnt come back on after a call, then the sensor is probably bad, take it back for replacement.

Seems one man's bug is another man's feature

colagada

Reaction score
This happens if you hold the phone at the top. The fingers cover the proximity sensor, which will cause the screen to turn off, or they partially block it, which will cause the screen to turn on and off. To solve the problem, hold your phone by the sides instead of the top and bottom, and keep the top clear.