Developer Corner: Important tips for those flashing the "L" to your Nexus

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just finished flashing L so I could write a little tutorial about it for DF and along the way I made a boneheaded mistake or two which I know better.

Let's see if we can save you from the same dragons.

1) If you are rooted (which most of you attempting this will be ) take the time to make a nandroid back up in recovery and put it on your hard drive. Again I know better as I always preach back up but today being in a rush I failed to do so. Instead I had flashed the image removing the "-w" so not to wipe my data. When things got buggy i tried to be slick and wipe cache and system in recovery. Unfortunately I had an old recovery and things did not go my way. I ended up re-installing the "L" with "-w" which erases my data as my wiping system trick removed the entire os. Basically I pulled a boneheaded move. Had I backed up my data, when I was done playing with the L I could flash wipe back to 4.4.4, root it and flash my recovery (something I plan on doing in a bit).

2) Be organized: This I did with near perfection. I had everything I needed at the ready so when something went wrong I was ready. Have both factory images ("L" and 4.4.4) ready to go. Factory images can be found at the google developer page.

3) Finally: do not do this when you are in a hurry. If you have 5 mins to be to work do not attempt that is when things go from bad to worse as a result of rushing and panicking. I personally had a chance to play with the "L" and though I can not wait for the finished product you can tell it is a preview version. They are still working out the bugs to get root working properly as various root apps are hit and miss. I say this to say if you flash the "L" be prepared to flash back and the easiest and fastest way is to take the time to back everything up.

Have Fun and flash wisely.

View attachment 72044