Deleted photos still in gallery? Multiple listings of music?

Pilot145

Reaction score
After chasing this one for a bit, I think I found the answer...

Try this:

Go to SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > MANAGE APPLICATIONS

Select the ALL tab

Scroll down to MEDIA STORAGE

Select CLEAR DATA

Your phone will have to rebuild everything it knew about photos and music on your phone, but erased photos should no longer appear as thumbnails or icons and errors in music listing should be resolved!

I decided to create a new thread for this because I had been chasing around different threads for over a month, (most of which ulimately had you reformat the SD card).

I hope this helps!

For what it's worth, I'm using a DROID X.

Last edited:

sparcy

Reaction score
Thank you!!

You saved a droid x from meeting a cruel fate. This has been causing issues for me. I'm a heavy music/photo user and cycle both on and off the phone frequently. I've moved over to Droid from an iphone and have been a little disappointed with the droid media handling. Before using your instructions this morning, I albums that listed 3 and 4 copies of the songs.

Now if we could just get google to fix the media/file handling on the o/s.

cleave

Reaction score
That looks kinda scary. It says that it will delete all the files and applications. I'm afraid that it might delete everything?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

sparcy

Reaction score
It's not that scary. I did the procedure. Unmounted/Remounted the SD card. Waited till the o/s rescanned for media. My music and pictures we all still there but now Droid correctly lists what's there.

cleave

Reaction score
What do you mean "mounted" and "unmounted?" I thought all you had to do was hit "clear data?" So, are you saying I need to mount and unmount my phone before the all the files I "didn't" delete will show up?
Thanks

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

sparcy

Reaction score
Unmounting and remounting the sd card forces droid to look for media (music, pictures, video). Clearing the Media Storage data only removes entries from the database droid uses to keep track of the locations of the media. The media is still on the sd card. By unmounting and remounting the sd card, you force droid to scan for media and rebuild the database you cleared out using pilot145's procedure.

sixdrift

Reaction score
Glad I found this. I thought I was going crazy along with my phone. You saved my Droid X from being slammed against a wall.

One caveat to all. If you have a lot of pix or music like I did (about 1500 pix), it takes a long time to rebuild the thumbnail database. So be patient.

katie21

Reaction score
Thank you!!!

Exactly what I was looking for!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: