Deleted Photo Downloads Still In Gallery

amcarrig

Reaction score
Hi folks. I just received my Droid X last week and am still fiddling with it. So far, the only frustration that I'm experiencing is the fact that some photos that I downloaded from an e-mail (which I have since deleted from my download file) still show up as thumbnails in my gallery. When I click on the photo, however, I get a generic photo icon and when I click on the info icon, the file name and modification info displays but the location comes up as "unavailable". Can anybody help me figure out how to get these thumbnails out of my gallery. Thanks in advance!!!

rolltide

Reaction score
Same problem here. Tried deleting the files in /sdcard/.thumbnails. Now it doesn't show the old pictures but still shows a placeholder for them (meaning when I open the Gallery it says 35 pictures but I only have 3). Any clues?

rolltide

Reaction score
Well I just answered my own question. So from what it looks like, if you delete the photo from the Gallery it automatically removes the thumbnail. If you delete it by any other method then you have to delete all files (including ".thumbdata*") from the /sdcard/dcim/.thumbnails folder and reboot.

When it boots back up it recreates thumbnails of the remaining pictures.

Man I hope someone chimes in with a better answer... But this method worked for me.

And I'm guessing you need root to delete the files in .thumbnails directory. I just FTP'd to it from Windows and deleted them.

OP
A

amcarrig

Reaction score
Thanks! I answered my own question as well just last night. I was able to delete the thumbnails by mounting the Droid to my PC and deleting the "files" from there.

scsa20

Reaction score
That doesn't seem to be working for me. My problem is that the gallery is saying there's 3 folders (when there's only 2), the third folder in question is screenshots, open it and it says there's 6 pictures in there but there's nothing there. Won't let me delete it or nothing, went in and deleted the thumbnails folder to have the droid rebuild it and it still pops open. I even deleted the screenshots folder and it still shows, what am I over looking here?

Kris78424

Reaction score
That doesn't seem to be working for me. My problem is that the gallery is saying there's 3 folders (when there's only 2), the third folder in question is screenshots, open it and it says there's 6 pictures in there but there's nothing there. Won't let me delete it or nothing, went in and deleted the thumbnails folder to have the droid rebuild it and it still pops open. I even deleted the screenshots folder and it still shows, what am I over looking here?

I am having the same exact issue and the above methods did not work. Please help!!!!

aklee987

Reaction score
Try downloading sdrescan from the market. It will rescan your sd card.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Kris78424

Reaction score
GOT IT!!!!!! I re-downloaded the screenshot app I used before......took a bunch of new screenshots. Those ghost thumbnails, converted into the screenshots I just took. Then I select them all and deleted them. Folder is now gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
Try this. Go to Settings | Applications | Manage Applications | All. Find Media Storage and tap on Clear Data. I know this works for deleted videos and music that still show up but it's worth a try to see if it works for pictures too.

Kris78424

Reaction score
Read my post above yours. I already figured it out. Thank you though!!!!