Dead screen-transfer data possible?

Metalman

Reaction score
Dropped my Galaxy S4, screen went black but I could still hear the phone switch on, off. message receive tone etc.
Fortunately I was due for an upgrade with Verizon, so got another S4 for free (with contract), many contacts came over after setting up the new phone....but

Is there any way I can transfer pictures and messages left on my old phone to my new S4 or computer, with broken screen?

Dick

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not unless you had been rooted. Cloud storage can come in handy. On the new phone get a contact/SMS backup app, most don't need root, and get DropBox for automatic cloud backup of photos..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There have been some who have had success in gaining access via remote connection with a USB cable and have recovered their photos and videos but is hit our miss it seems. Much has to do with whether the digitizer is still recognizing screen touches. Also I believe that USB debugging needs to be activated first.

One might think that in this day and time the manufacturers would have put in place a safeguard that would allow you go gain access with USB and not need the digitizer to do so considering how many get cracked..

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Am I misunderstanding here? Is the screen non operable but the rest of the phone intact?
When did Android/Samsung take away the ability to back up your data to a desktop/laptop? I haven't tried to in forever but I used to plug my phone into my desktop, it'd show up sd 2 external drives (1 internal storage, other external sd card) and I'd just copy my stuff onto my desktop. My phone would light up and ask how it wanted to be read on the desktop or if just charge instead. Is that ability gone now or the ability to back up with Kies program?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Am I misunderstanding here? Is the screen non operable but the rest of the phone intact?
When did Android/Samsung take away the ability to back up your data to a desktop/laptop? I haven't tried to in forever but I used to plug my phone into my desktop, it'd show up sd 2 external drives (1 internal storage, other external sd card) and I'd just copy my stuff onto my desktop. My phone would light up and ask how it wanted to be read on the desktop or if just charge instead. Is that ability gone now or the ability to back up with Kies program?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Yes, I believe that is true, like you mentioned though, it may be that the phone asks what mode you want it in. If the screen is black, how can the user tell the phone what mode (unless the digitizer still works and he can approximate where the button is from a screen shot. I didn't have Samsung for long so I really didn't get to explore it much. Perhaps a member with an S4 can help.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, I believe that is true, like you mentioned though, it may be that the phone asks what mode you want it in. If the screen is black, how can the user tell the phone what mode (unless the digitizer still works and he can approximate where the button is from a screen shot. I didn't have Samsung for long so I really didn't get to explore it much. Perhaps a member with an S4 can help.
By default my old Inc was set to usb,aka data transfer.
Agreed if it's defaulted to charge only unless the touch part is working, which would allow the op to blindly tap the screen and it possibly change.
I know on dumbphones Verizon had a gizmo that let them pull data from old phones then transfer to new ones but I'm not sure that's available to be used on Android ones. Perhaps they could go to a Verizon store and ask?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Kies can pull everything off the old device and then load it into the new device