D4 Camera = Crap?

Krooked247

Reaction score
Just picked up the D4 upgrading from the OG. Love the phone but am having a couple issues and was hoping the one I got is just defective and that this phone is not an epic fail. I've had the screen freeze and turn strange colors(purple/green). The camera is supposed to be 1080p hd but everything is fuzzy an it keeps constantly trying to focus, its the worst camera I've ever used on a phone. I compared the video from my og to this and it is way way better which doesn't make sense at all considering this is brand new, years newer and has better hardware. Sometimes I even have problems where the screen doesn't notice I'm sliding my finger on it or tapping it. I have a friend who said he had the same problem when the droid 2 came out and that he had to bring it back 3 times before he got one with a good camera. Just looking for some confirmation that my device is defective... really don't wanna find out that this is just how the phone is cuz I would rather just keep my og till a D5 comes out or somethin.

Thanks ahead to anyone that replies to this.

Krooked All Day....

dhaynes

Reaction score
Sounds like a defective phone I would have vzw exchange it

Sent from my DROID4

Benton

Reaction score
Ditto on dhaynes comment, it sounds defective and somewhat of a rarity from my experience which differs from your friend that had three with the D2. One question, are you using or have installed any camera app other than what came with the phone?

OP
Krooked247

Krooked247

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I was pretty sure this phone is defective. My main concern is really how ridiculously bad this camera is.
I haven't used any camera apps, just the stock camera. Everything on the phone is still stock, still haven't rooted it or anything.

podspi

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I was pretty sure this phone is defective. My main concern is really how ridiculously bad this camera is.
I haven't used any camera apps, just the stock camera. Everything on the phone is still stock, still haven't rooted it or anything.

I don't think that the D4's camera is anything special, but compared to the OG Droid it is way better... So it sounds like you got a lemon...! Send it back! dancedroid

OP
Krooked247

Krooked247

Reaction score
Yea I think I got a bad one. I'm gonna bring it back to verizon after work today an tell them I want a new one.
Hoping they'll replace this an not just tell me I'm crazy. If they don't switch this for a brand new one I'm gonna tell them to just give me my money back an turn my og back on. I'll post later and let you guys know how it goes.

podspi

Reaction score
Yea I think I got a bad one. I'm gonna bring it back to verizon after work today an tell them I want a new one.
Hoping they'll replace this an not just tell me I'm crazy. If they don't switch this for a brand new one I'm gonna tell them to just give me my money back an turn my og back on. I'll post later and let you guys know how it goes.

Good luck! I find VZW stores to be very hit or miss. You can get someone who will be super-helpful, or somebody who will do everything they can to make you go away without helping you...

OP
Krooked247

Krooked247

Reaction score
Well i exchanged the phone and they gave me a brand new one.
It seems better with everything than my first, but am still very disappointed with the camera.
The camera on the d4 i have now is definitly an improvement over the last one.
Still think the quality is very poor for a phone like this but im a sucker for everything else about the phone so i guess im just gonna settle.

Thanks again to all that replied

dAmnDroid

Reaction score
Well i exchanged the phone and they gave me a brand new one.
It seems better with everything than my first, but am still very disappointed with the camera.
The camera on the d4 i have now is definitly an improvement over the last one.
Still think the quality is very poor for a phone like this but im a sucker for everything else about the phone so i guess im just gonna settle.

Thanks again to all that replied

lol as a Photographer, I actually find the Camera on the D4 not to shabby..but it still is a Camera phone...can't ask for much :\
I'm gotten some great shots using my D4.
k9ui5x.jpg

Yeah it is noisy, but that is because camera phones have Small Sensors and poor noise handling.
29uubn8.jpg

Not bad :3
THOUGH
I wonder if mine is defective because when I use flash, I get this [with case on or off]
whi1hv.jpg

OP
Krooked247

Krooked247

Reaction score
The pictures aren't too bad. My disappointment was really with the video camera.
Not sure what it is ur talkin about in that one picture though. I'm lookin at this on my phone at the moment so that may be why Ididnt notice anything. You should try and find someone with a d4 and compare yours and theirs. Or stop in a verizon store while your out one day and look at the one they have there.

dAmnDroid

Reaction score
The pictures aren't too bad. My disappointment was really with the video camera.
Not sure what it is ur talkin about in that one picture though. I'm lookin at this on my phone at the moment so that may be why Ididnt notice anything. You should try and find someone with a d4 and compare yours and theirs. Or stop in a verizon store while your out one day and look at the one they have there.
yeah, the HD video is not the greatest, but I've actually got it to look good. :\ and yeah I am planning to go to the Verizon Store tomorrow and ask what is up with it.

EDIT: I went to the VZW Store and they cleaned the lens and it fixed the problem lol!

Last edited: