D2 vs D2G

atmcgill97

Reaction score
Whats the difference between the droid 2 and the droid 2 global (besides the fact that the latter can go anywhere in the world)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The global has s slightly faster processor at 1.2 ghz and some changes in blur including profiles for your home screen. There may be more but those are the things that stand out in my mind.

tappin and a talkin

gambit07

Reaction score
No difference besides Global. Processor is the same in the D2G just overclocked beyond the D2 to 1.2ghz

desert_storm

Reaction score
The Global has a bigger camera lens which bulges out slightly. Global is also available in white/silver

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Not to mention the global effectively gave the D2 a short lifespan...verizon seems to be pushing globals, since the D2's are discontinued from manufacture by Moto.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

tothenet

Reaction score
Verizon is losing many business customer who travels oversea frequently due to lack of roaming capability. That's the reason for pushing global models. And Verizon is owned by Vodafone and Global phone can force customers to use Vodafone when they roam in Europe since it comes with Vodafone SIM.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Verizon is losing many business customer who travels oversea frequently due to lack of roaming capability. That's the reason for pushing global models. And Verizon is owned by Vodafone and Global phone can force customers to use Vodafone when they roam in Europe since it comes with Vodafone SIM.

Verizon IS NOT owned by Vodafone, Verizon bought out a controlling share of their stock and has a 55%. This effectively means that vodafone can not control verizon.

tothenet

Reaction score

Verizon IS NOT owned by Vodafone, Verizon bought out a controlling share of their stock and has a 55%. This effectively means that vodafone can not control verizon.

Vodafone owns 45% of Verizon Wireless share. Though Verizon has control share, each company owns roughly half.

tothenet

Reaction score
No difference besides Global. Processor is the same in the D2G just overclocked beyond the D2 to 1.2ghz

The D2 and the D2G do NOT have the same processor, similar but not the same.

D2: TI OMAP3620-1000
D2G: TI OMAP3630-1200
DX: TI OMAP3630-1000
Milestone 2: TI OMAP3630-1000
DPro: TI OMAP3620-1000

For OMAP3610 to OMAP3640, all incorporate same CPU core, same GPU and technology. Difference is speed. Probably all are fabricated in same fab and just different binning depending on speed.

I think D2G is OMAP 3640.

Texas Instruments OMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Yes D2G is omap 3640...

And i think you are right about the numbering, it may be all the same processor, with cpus that yeild lower stability being branded as a lower number.

Of course there are so many different pieces of the cpu itself, along with memory controllers and various parts, that differ from model to model

silver6054

Reaction score

Vodafone owns 45% of Verizon Wireless share. Though Verizon has control share, each company owns roughly half.

Right, need to distinguish between Verizon Communications and Verizon Wireless. Verizon Communications has the Verizon landline business in many areas of the US, and Verizon Business, which owns global networks (from the former MCI) and operates around the world. Verizon Wireless is a joint venture between Verizon Communications and Vodafone, with the 55/45% share cited above.

And more on topic! Isn't the VPN specific to the D2G?

Last edited:

tothenet

Reaction score

Right, need to distinguish between Verizon Communications and Verizon Wireless. Verizon Communications has the Verizon landline business in many areas of the US, and Verizon Business, which owns global networks (from the former MCI) and operates around the world. Verizon Wireless is a joint venture between Verizon Communications and Vodafone, with the 55/45% share cited above.

Yes, Verizon Wireless and Verizon are separate entity. for VPN, I have seen it since Droid 1. I don't think it's specific to D2G. For UMTS, there's AP setting, which is for GSM data.

tothenet

Reaction score

Yes D2G is omap 3640...

And i think you are right about the numbering, it may be all the same processor, with cpus that yeild lower stability being branded as a lower number.

Of course there are so many different pieces of the cpu itself, along with memory controllers and various parts, that differ from model to model

I think OMAP is pretty good processor and I use my phone even under clocked. So, clock frequency shouldn't matter much but just adding 2 cents for the clarification.

Processor design is very very risky and expensive project so, it's not quite common to have different design chip by chip. Max speed is determined by process like 65, 45 and 25nm. There's change for new design for new technology but seldom in the same process unless there's serious bug. Even in such event, minor repair is preferred such as metal layer fix.

You will be surprised to see how TI reuse their design over and over. It's quite common to reuse even 10 years old design if it doesn't break anything. I remember my co worker's complaints from TI before. He was complaining nothing new to design in TI since they reuse most of the components. He wanted chance to shine but no opportunity.

I didn't design OMAP but I participated in designing one of the processor in the market for Android. It's sold under many different code names but same design under the hood.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
If you physically compare the hummingbird, snapdragon, and OMAP processors you will find that they are all very very similar in core design. This is because they ALL use TIs Cortex A8 as the processor itself, with minor (or not so minor) differences in the FPU, memory controllers, and various parts as i mentioned in a previous post.