D2 Otterbox Commuter

GoBears

Reaction score
I got my Otterbox commuter for my D2 yesterday. I'm extremely happy with the bottom portion of the case. The silicone insert has plugs for all the ports and is made of the same soft yet durable silicone on all their products. The top snap on screen cover is pretty much like any other for these phones. It does have a cut out for the keypad top row which makes it a bit easier to hit those keys. The one problem is that is just doesnt seem to fit perfectly and kind of pops up a bit. Overall I'd say its the best protection I have seen for the D2 and I give it a thumbs up. Hope this post helps you if youre trying to decide on one. BTW I got it for 21.45 delivered from eBay.

GoBears!

zero7404

Reaction score
after using this case for a while i found that the screen bezel has been getting scratched by it. it rubs on the phone surface and scratches it.

posted via android

Montecarlo97z

Reaction score
i returned mine, it didnt fit well and moved a lot. bought a $2 one off amazon and it works great, much better then the $30 otterbox. my .02

OP
GoBears

GoBears

Reaction score
After using mine for a week, I can say I'm very disappointed in this case by Otterbox. I actually really like the bottom part so I swapped the bezel cover with a crappy case I had laying around. I must retract my thumbs up and give this case a thumbs DOWN.

zero7404

Reaction score
i've contacted otterbox about my issue. they threw the warranty terms in my face and also claimed they cannot see any scratches in the pictures i've emailed them.

i will post some up tonight/tomorrow for everyone to see. please have a look at your device along the left edge of the screen on the bezel, and tell me if you see scratches/scuff marks. if it was not caused by a drop and the case has been on, likely the marks are due to the otterbox bezel coming in contact with the phone bezel during normal use.

below is the conversation i've been having with otterbox about this. i feel as though a suit will get their attention, but it's best to get together and file it as a class-action.

named,

I received a reply from my supervisor based off both emails you sent. He does not see any damage to the device that we can replace or repair. I copied our warranty below:

Warranty

OtterBox products come with a ONE (1) YEAR Limited Warranty from the date of the retail purchase by the original end-user. If a material or workmanship defect arises and a valid claim is received within the Warranty Period, OtterBox will replace the case only. OtterBox cannot be held liable for damages to personal property due to misuse or improper care and maintenance of case and o-ring seals. OtterBox warranty does not, under any circumstance, cover the replacement or cost of any electronic device or personal property inside or outside of the case.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you or if you would like a case replacement.

Thanks,

Please take a minute to let us know how your Otter Satisfaction Experience has been.

Take this quick survey!

Adrienne Parry

Customer Service Representative

P: (888)695-8820

F: 970-493-1755

[email protected]

Otterbox

101 Remington Street

Fort Collins, CO 80524

We've Got Technology Covered // OtterBox.com

We've Got Technology Covered

Be an OtterBox fan on Facebook: OtterBox | Facebook
Follow OtterBox on Twitter: OtterBox (OtterBox) on Twitter

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: The information contained in this e-mail, and in any attachment thereto, is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named herein. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by telephone, fax, or e-mail and then delete this e-mail.
P Please consider the environment before printing this email

Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:24 AM
To: Adrienne Parry
Subject: Re: Picture Request

hello,

i would like to know if my concern has been passed along to your product support team manager ? i followed-up with additional detailed pictures that are clearer than the first batch of pictures i had sent to you.

to reiterate, the claim is that the Otterbox Commuter series case for the droid 2 has caused damage to my phone, i would like this matter resolved by Otterbox in a satisfactory manner (either repair my device or replace it).

---
Thanks
named

On 4/7/2011 18:39, Adrienne Parry wrote:

Thanks for sending that over named. I just forwarded your email, I will let you know when I receive a response!

Thanks,

Please take a minute to let us know how your Otter Satisfaction Experience has been.

Take this quick survey!

Adrienne Parry

F: 970-493-1755

[email protected]

Otterbox

101 Remington Street

Fort Collins, CO 80524

We've Got Technology Covered

Be an OtterBox fan on Facebook: OtterBox | Facebook
Follow OtterBox on Twitter: OtterBox (OtterBox) on Twitter

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: The information contained in this e-mail, and in any attachment thereto, is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named herein. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by telephone, fax, or e-mail and then delete this e-mail.
P Please consider the environment before printing this email

Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 2:12 PM
To: Adrienne Parry
Subject: Re: Picture Request

here are a few pictures. the left hand side of the black chrome bezel around the screen is scratched. i can try to take better pictures later this evening, but these scratches are most visible when observing the device in-person.

there are no blemishes around the rest of the bezel. as i can see, the otterbox snap-on cover is secured with clips around the right side of the cover, but in the area of the scratches there are no snap-on clips on the cover.

prior to using this case the device was new, no blemishes at all. since the case has been installed i have not dropped this phone and can verify the scratches are a result of the inside surface of the otterbox case continuously rubbing on the phone during normal use/handling.

how is it possible for a customer to anticipate that a product designed to protect a device is actually doing damage to it during normal use/function ? i am very disappointed in that i usually turn around and sell my used devices in pristine condition, in this case i cannot due to this damage. i have heard stories from others in the droid 2 community that have seen similar issues with this otterbox product, as well as other issues i've heard about that indicate to me the otterbox brand is not as good as one might believe it was in the past.

---
Thanks
named

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Adrienne Parry <[email protected]> wrote:

named,

Thank you for your call today. Please reply to this email with pictures of your damaged device, a picture of your Otterbox case with a piece of paper in the picture with your name on it, and a description on how the damage happened. I’ll see what I can do!

Thanks,

Take this quick survey!

Adrienne Parry

[email protected]

--
----
Thanks
named

for my privacy, i replaced my name with "named" and x'ed out my email information

zero7404

Reaction score
this is the damage:

IMG_3775.jpg

mboyz1

Reaction score
So I want an otterbox. And me and my friends only have cases on the backs of our droids. Ahaha. Screw the top part, I don't lay my phone on the counter on the screen. Who does? Pshh. & Are those lines the scratches? They look like a camera flash effect. That might've been the "No scratches" excuse they used. Hm.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

zero7404

Reaction score
So I want an otterbox. And me and my friends only have cases on the backs of our droids. Ahaha. Screw the top part, I don't lay my phone on the counter on the screen. Who does? Pshh. & Are those lines the scratches? They look like a camera flash effect. That might've been the "No scratches" excuse they used. Hm.

you sound like an idiot.

read my post again.

get a commuter for your phone, install it, after a few weeks take it off and find out for yourself.

in addition to the case i took care with the phone regardless.

good luck.

sent via android

mboyz1

Reaction score
Oh hh.