D1, slower performance with more shortcuts?

poooookah78

Reaction score
I've noticed that when I put about 3 pages worth of icons (app shortcuts or widgets) on my D1, it slows down... is that normal? Does the amount of icons on the different pages eat up more RAM thus slowing down the phone?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not sure icons will cause it to slow down, but I do think widgets can cause it to slow down. Also, it seems that if you have multiple screens, putting icons on the screens the furthest from the home screen will cause slow downs (this may only lag the launcher app). YMMV

Good luck.

OP
P

poooookah78

Reaction score
hey Bayou, thansk for the reply....I probably have about 5 widgets... Beautiful home, Set CPU, Sports Center, CNN, Youtube... and probably 35 short cuts to applications... do you think that might be contributing to the slow down?

THANKS!!!!!!!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Definitely the widgets. I try to keep them to a minimum and I'm overclocked to 1Ghz.

edbdroid

Reaction score
Another thought...

Instead of having 35 shortcuts, why not create folders and group shortcuts in those folders? I have one for games, one for messaging/social networks, and one for assorted apps. Sure, I have to open the folder and then hit the app, but is that really more work than swiping back and forth between screens to hit the app? Reduces clutter tremendously. Literally everything I use (and this includes a 2x2 Jorte Widget) fits on my homescreen.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure icons will cause it to slow down, but I do think widgets can cause it to slow down. Also, it seems that if you have multiple screens, putting icons on the screens the furthest from the home screen will cause slow downs (this may only lag the launcher app). YMMV

Good luck.

They can, it happens in other OSes such as Windows as well. The reason why is that each icon that is placed on the "desktop" eats up a small amount of system RAM. With the already limited RAM in a D1, this can lead to slowdown. Same idea with widgets, except they tend to eat up larger amounts of RAM.

I BELIEVE this is what causes laucher issues (when exiting an app, icons take several minutes to reappear) - what happens is the system memory runs low, and the OS kills off the icon cache. It takes a bit of time to rebuild this cache, and if there are alot of apps on the sd card, it makes it take markedly longer.

Using an alternate launcher with the ability to force it to stay in memory can mitigate this issue, however the problem with that is it leaves less memory for the app to run, thus lowering app performance.

WallyIAm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
hey Bayou, thansk for the reply....I probably have about 5 widgets... Beautiful home, Set CPU, Sports Center, CNN, Youtube... and probably 35 short cuts to applications... do you think that might be contributing to the slow down?

THANKS!!!!!!!

Not only that, but I've read that widgets that update periodically can eat up your battery life. Think about it; if one is checking the weather hourly, another is updating scores, and another is updating the news, your phone is constantly working in the background.

Sent from my Droid