Custom ROM Major Update: Steel Droid v8.0.0 CM Gingerbread 2.3.5!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
steeldroid-8-update.png

One of our members, chevycam94, just completed his work on a major update to his custom ROM for the OG Droid, Steel Droid v8.0.0 CM Gingerbread 2.3.5! You guys know that whenever we are able to, we love to showcase our members that are developers and modders in the community, especially when they put forth the huge effort of creating a custom ROM. Make sure to head over to his release thread in the forums to thank him and try it out. Here's a link: Steel Droid v8.0.0 CM Gingerbread 2.3.5. And, here's a list of the massive changes and improvements he has made to this great ROM:
Changelog 8.0
  • Synced from source on 7-30-11
  • Now CM 2.3.5-based!!!
  • Now uses CorCor's 1.05GHz LV kerenl
  • All apps now pre-zipaligned
  • All PNG's in the whole ROM have been optimized
  • Took extra steps to reduce the size of most apps
  • Included a lot of the files that I used to remove manually
  • Rearranged options in Steel Box for easier access
  • Changed the warning about overclocking to be more straight forward
  • Added Steel Toolbox
  • Added a TON of system tweaks from various sources
  • Added Screenshot option to power menu
  • Added back working Calculator app
  • Added a new DNA background for 8.0
  • Added more apps to data partition for easy uninstallation
  • Updated Superuser to 2.3.6.3 with 2.3.2-efgh binary
  • Updated to FRG83G build fingerprint
  • Updated Steel Box with all the most recent fixes
  • Updated to GoLauncher EX 2.38
  • Updated Google Music to 3.0.1 (R339)
  • Updated the hosts file for improved ad blocking
  • Updated to the new Market app (3.0.27)
  • Downgraded Busybox to 1.18.2 for compatibility
  • Downgraded to Wireless Tether 2.0.8 for compatibility
  • Fixed two-finger map rotation in Google Maps!
  • Fixed haptic feedback tweaks in Steel Box
  • Fixed the Google Backup Transport issues
  • Fixed the recurring WIFI bootloop issue
  • Fixed rare "mkdir" command duplication issue
  • Fixed the USB mounting images which I somehow forgot
  • Fixed the battery animation to something smoother
  • Fixed annoying USB auto-prompt
  • Removed several unpopular ringtones
  • Removed duplicate entries from build.prop
  • Removed Terminal from ROM as a better one is free from the Market
  • Removed Hot Reboot hotkeys from the ROM
  • Removed 3 "Calibrated" render effects because they didnt do anything
  • Removed Gmail because its available on the Market
  • Removed Google Maps because its available on the Market
  • Boosted 3G speeds
  • Boosted WIFI speeds
  • Tried to better fix 3G dropout in low signal areas
  • More memory tweaks for a faster system
  • De-optimized a couple apps because they didn't work when optimized
Amazing work! dancedroid

Source: Steel Droid v8.0.0 CM Gingerbread 2.3.5

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Not trying to bash the ROM, but since its based off of CM7, what are the differences between CM7 and this ROM? Since i'm on CM7, is there any incentive to try it out?

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
Not trying to bash the ROM, but since its based off of CM7, what are the differences between CM7 and this ROM? Since i'm on CM7, is there any incentive to try it out?

Good point. Its has most of what CM7 has, with some of my own tweaks, corrections, added apps, removed compontents, rearranged menus, graphical changes, memory optimizations, source-level edits (mine), and more. It just uses CM7 as a base.

ALL ROMs use either AOSP, CM, or OTA's/leaks as a base to build on. So every ROM will have all the features of its base, with the changes that the ROM developer has made to it to make it "his/hers". :)

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

Good point. Its has most of what CM7 has, with some of my own tweaks, corrections, added apps, removed compontents, rearranged menus, graphical changes, memory optimizations, source-level edits (mine), and more. It just uses CM7 as a base.

ALL ROMs use either AOSP, CM, or OTA's/leaks as a base to build on. So every ROM will have all the features of its base, with the changes that the ROM developer has made to it to make it "his/hers". :)

Much appreciated.

LTLFTCer

Reaction score
With other phones, battery life suffered tremedously, how has the GB ROMs for the D1 affected its battery life?

JerrethS

Reaction score
Incoming Calls Go To Speakerphone And Hang The Phone

I have been having problems with the new 8.0 I also had these problems on Liquid Gingerbread 2.5 and prior back to lgb 1.92. When I recieve an incoming call and swipe to answer it the call goes to speakerphone the caller can not hear me however I can hear them. If the caller does not hangup the dialer app will FC and the phone must be rebooted or the bugs never end. Do you have any ideas. I have read other threads about this being rather common and several fixes/things to try I have tried a stock Out of the box ring tone i have tried different kernels I have tried leaving the rom stock when i flash it. nothing works. Any ideas? i love your rom but if incoming calls dont work i have to use Peter Alfonso's which is dont get me wrong an awesome rom very stable but i love the mods on this rom.

Thanks guys

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
I have been having problems with the new 8.0 I also had these problems on Liquid Gingerbread 2.5 and prior back to lgb 1.92. When I recieve an incoming call and swipe to answer it the call goes to speakerphone the caller can not hear me however I can hear them. If the caller does not hangup the dialer app will FC and the phone must be rebooted or the bugs never end. Do you have any ideas. I have read other threads about this being rather common and several fixes/things to try I have tried a stock Out of the box ring tone i have tried different kernels I have tried leaving the rom stock when i flash it. nothing works. Any ideas? i love your rom but if incoming calls dont work i have to use Peter Alfonso's which is dont get me wrong an awesome rom very stable but i love the mods on this rom.

Thanks guys

True, I made lots of changes to my ROM, but none to the phone app. I believe Petes stuff is AOSP. So CM might have made some changes somewhere that are causing the issues...just thinking...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums