CRAZY issue with audio recording/playback!

BluePlate

Reaction score
So I often use my phone for voice recording (I used to have a BB and it was great for that), so I've been looking into voice recording apps for my Droid X.

I first tried Voice Recorder, but when I played back the file I created, my voice was all weird sounding--like it had been sped up in places!

So I dumped VR and tried out Rehearsal Assistant, which many forums posts said was good. I set the record quality to uncompressed and tried it out.

SAME THING! I played it back and my voice would be normal for a few seconds, and then totally sped up for the following few seconds, and then back to normal. There's also a lot of crackling and popping on the recording, which was also the case with the VR sound file I made, despite being in a totally silent room.

It seems the problem is with my Droid X! Any thoughts on what it could be?? What would cause this uneven playback outside of the recording software?

I actually rely pretty heavily on my ability to make voice recordings for work, and in the meantime, I've had to get the old BB out and use it as a separate voice recorder, which is a bit ridiculous.

All help is much appreciated!!

OP
B

BluePlate

Reaction score
Just a bit more info: I tried a battery pull and recorded another sample in Rehearsal Assistant, and had the same problem.

I watched this time, though, as I recorded, and the audio input stream was jumpy. It would be flowing along, then stop,and suddenly jump ahead a bit.

This, of course, corresponded to the sped up sections in playback.

But it can't just be a problem with RA, since the Voice Recorder app did the same thing! What component of my phone is messed up?