Voice Recorder: High quality for lectures

xMyStiCx

Reaction score
I like to use voice recorders for my lecture, and some of my classmates use their iphone for theirs with very good quality. My experience so far with these voice recorder applications have been pretty bad: the apps either record poorly or force close before the lecture ends. So far I have tried VoiceRecorder and Rehearsal Assistant. VoiceRecorder is unstable and records poorly. Rehearsal assistant is capable of producing high quality recordings (that run in the 300mb range for a 90 minute lecture), although it occasionally force closes. Anybody have any recommendations for a decent voice recorder that uses a reasonably high-quality compressed format (preferably not 3gp)?

Thanks!

griz8791

Reaction score
+1. My secretary's foot pedal software doesn't recognize 3gps.

Xeight

Reaction score
Wow, rehearsal is a find. Using it for recording jams, and quickly grabbing song ideas while preserving some great audio quality, totally decimates all other audio recorders ive tried on droid. Thanks for the tip.

windstrings

Reaction score
Do we know how to save a file in reheasal to the SD card or do you need to send it to ringdroid first?

Or send it to yourself via email... why can't you just save it?

Last edited:
OP
X

xMyStiCx

Reaction score
Do we know how to save a file in reheasal to the SD card or do you need to send it to ringdroid first?

Or send it to yourself via email... why can't you just save it?

From my experience, it automatically saves it to your SD card. You just have to go to the folder urbanstew.Rehearsal or something like that.

mikespe

Reaction score
WOW! Thanks for the mention of Rehearsal Assistant! It's a bit confusing at first to find what I recorded (initially saved as the date recorded) but it sounds better than other recorders I tried. I too write songs and this will work VERY well!

Big D

Reaction score
Another vote for Rehearsal.

Great sound - FAR better than anything I have used yet.

I used to carry around a little digital recorder to get song ideas down but now I don't have to.

Loving that.

windstrings

Reaction score
Maybe they will give a clue it autosaves... makes sense though as it would be a bummer to do a whole rehearsal just to accidently lose it!

I do wish it had a sensitivity adjust... I feel like it should be a tad louder and while it already picks up background noises quite well I can see how the default settings would be too loud during a rehearsal as it gets quite loud!

MightyUnicorn

Reaction score
Rehearsal Assistant: Good stuff, maynard!

This is a fantastic app.

I was using iPhone until recently, and I have to say that its recording quality was unparalleled.

I was shocked to hear how crappy the sound quality was when using the Motorola Droid and VoiceRecorder, and was TOTALLY bummed when I realized that the saved files were in the dreaded .3gp format. LAME.

Rehearsal Assistant is AWESOME. The quality is amazing. I chose the "uncompressed" option under the settings for the program, and it really is outrageously wonderful.

windstrings

Reaction score
This is a fantastic app.

I was using iPhone until recently, and I have to say that its recording quality was unparalleled.

I was shocked to hear how crappy the sound quality was when using the Motorola Droid and VoiceRecorder, and was TOTALLY bummed when I realized that the saved files were in the dreaded .3gp format. LAME.

Rehearsal Assistant is AWESOME. The quality is amazing. I chose the "uncompressed" option under the settings for the program, and it really is outrageously wonderful.

If you record something then press and hold it and pick to email it to an email account, you will see its also in .3gp format.

trying to figure out how to save directly to the sd card... looks like if I open it with ringdroid it will work but otherwise I don't see that option.

MightyUnicorn

Reaction score
Actually it's not in .3gp. It's in .WAV

This is a fantastic app.

If you record something then press and hold it and pick to email it to an email account, you will see its also in .3gp format.

trying to figure out how to save directly to the sd card... looks like if I open it with ringdroid it will work but otherwise I don't see that option.

Just recorded a file. Navigated to the file with a file browser. Long-pressed the file, and selected "details". The file is not in .3gp format. It is in .WAV format.

When I installed this app, it automatically was set to record to the SD card. I am not sure where you are finding your recordings. Please use a file browser, such as "Astro", to find your recordings in .WAV format.

Also, be sure to check your settings in Rehearsal Assistant, and confirm that you have it set to record in uncompressed format.

windstrings

Reaction score
ah ha!... right you are!.... I too used astro and found it still to be 3gp.
I checked my settings and I didn't have it set to save in an uncompressed format... once I checked that.. now it saves in wave.

Nice feature!

Have you noticed any audible sound quality differences during playback of .wav verses .3gp?

Funny.. once you save it in .wav format.. then the default music player in droid won't play it.... but it will play .3gp.

What are you using for playback of you .wav files?..... the rehearsal app?.. The rehearsal app doesn't exactly browse well.

Last edited:

srothkin

Reaction score
Have you noticed any audible sound quality differences during playback of .wav verses .3gp?

Huge difference for music. I found 3gp quality to be not acceptable for music (when played back on my computer). It might be ok for speech only though.

Uncompressed to .wav the music recording quality (when played back on my computer) is good but not great (microphone limitation). But its good enough to record my voice teacher playing the melody line for a song on the piano.