Voice Recorder: High quality for lectures

windstrings

Reaction score
Mine kept giving me an error... I must have corrupted it somehow.. I made a new wav and it plays fine.. thanks......

It appears you have to save them in the rehearsal assistant directory since I don't see how to browse anywhere else..

cyber3d

Reaction score
I found something interesting. I made a recording of my dog snoring uncompressed using Rehearsal. When I play it back on the Droid it has a lot of "noise" So, I brought the wav files into Soundbooth and looked at the file. It is actually a very clean recording. The mic on the Droid is really quite good. The speaker sucks. Oh well. I don't really mind since I use sound isolating ear buds when I listen to music. I think I'll keep my dog's snoring.

chomorro

Reaction score
Anyone recorded a full hour long class lecture yet? Whats the size difference on an hour? 3gp vs wav

OP
X

xMyStiCx

Reaction score
Anyone recorded a full hour long class lecture yet? Whats the size difference on an hour? 3gp vs wav

For a one hour and a half (90 min) lecture, the file size for uncompressed wav came out to be around 300 mb. The 3gp came out to be around 8mb.

I had alot of crashes when using the uncompressed format for 90min lectures. =(

windstrings

Reaction score
Wowsey baby!.... thats a seriously big difference!

If I did my math right..... 8 is 2.6% of 300!

I'm amazed .3gp sounds as good as it does if thats the case!

make sure you drop them an email about the crashes... they may be focusing all their attention on the compressed format.

chomorro

Reaction score
Wowsey baby!.... thats a seriously big difference!

If I did my math right..... 8 is 2.6% of 300!

I'm amazed .3gp sounds as good as it does if thats the case!

make sure you drop them an email about the crashes... they may be focusing all their attention on the compressed format.
I want to use it for class but im having trouble picking up a good sound from far away. Maybe cup a piece of paper around the phone and aim the mic at the teacher??? I hate sitting in front of class but that may be the answer

windstrings

Reaction score
I want to use it for class but im having trouble picking up a good sound from far away. Maybe cup a piece of paper around the phone and aim the mic at the teacher??? I hate sitting in front of class but that may be the answer

LOL!... I bet that will be far less conspicuous as setting up a high gain antennae on the back row! :)

You could always get permission to sit your phone on their desk up front.... just don't forget it!

riffdex

Reaction score
While searching the internet for a good voice recording app for the droid, I came across this thread. Anyways, I've been using rehearsal but I can hardly see how you guys think it has anywhere near good recording quality :/ I mean, it works I suppose (and the ui is great imo), but I still think it has terrible quality (along with all the other apps I've come across so far). Though maybe I'm spoiled from my last phone (a horrible windows mobile phone which the only good thing about it was it had a good voice memo preinstalled) :)

srothkin

Reaction score
While searching the internet for a good voice recording app for the droid, I came across this thread. Anyways, I've been using rehearsal but I can hardly see how you guys think it has anywhere near good recording quality :/ I mean, it works I suppose (and the ui is great imo), but I still think it has terrible quality (along with all the other apps I've come across so far). Though maybe I'm spoiled from my last phone (a horrible windows mobile phone which the only good thing about it was it had a good voice memo preinstalled) :)

The quality with the default settings is horrible, but if you turn off compression then the quality is passable.

riffdex

Reaction score

The quality with the default settings is horrible, but if you turn off compression then the quality is passable.

Thank you, I hadn't realized that by default, it uses a horrible quality recording format, which can be changed. I just tried the wav method, and it is indeed much better. (Didn't read all 3 pages of this thread until just now, as I was out of the house and using my droid, and it was annoying enough to just create this acct on my droid - though thankfully possible :) - so i got annoyed and didn't read the rest lol). Now I can actually take good recordings and I'm missing my old Windows Mobile phone less and less everyday haha... And whew are those wav filesizes big, I don't suppose theres an in-between format that is slightly lower quality than the wav, but smaller filesize?

Last edited:

cyber3d

Reaction score
Win program to convert 3gp to something usable

I have a program called Oxelon Media Converter and it does great batch conversions. It has a 3gp codec so if you use something like Voice Recorder ( which is a free 3gp widget recorder - you know one touch and it records), Oxelon is a great product.

I also have Rehearsal Assistant but I use Voice Recorder more.