Crazy Amazon Deal: All VZW, Sprint & AT&T Phones Just .01 (Rezound, RAZR, SGS2, etc.)

DeadlyAP1

Reaction score
Just jumped in on this by adding another line to my family account. I was prepared to spend the $250 pricetag on it before this sale. Says delivery date will be the 29th :(

Can't wait!!! Thanks for posting this deal!

vaeron

Reaction score
Removing the data plan I believe changes the nature of the plan so I don't think you can do that otherwise it shows a change on their end; but here is the email I received.

My name is ***** and I would like to thank you for calling in today and speaking with me about violating the instant discount policy. I am very sorry for any inconvenience because of the lack of information displayed on our website.

I explained that you will not violate the instant discount policy if the current Razr holder switches with another member of the same family account.

vaeron

Reaction score
Just jumped in on this by adding another line to my family account. I was prepared to spend the $250 pricetag on it before this sale. Says delivery date will be the 29th :(

Can't wait!!! Thanks for posting this deal!

I'm stoked, I ordered yesterday afternoon and it's out for delivery right now, guaranteed delivery before 4:30 pm!! I completely agree on the Thanks!!

Posting this deal saved me $250

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, someone who is good and working the system, but keeping it legal and "legit", throw your advice in here...

I have a new Razr with Unlimited minutes and messaging for $89, plus another $30 for the 2GB (doubled to 4GB) data plan... With taxes and stuff I come to about $130 a month.

My girlfriend has a TBolt that she hates, she is a year into her 2 year contract. She pays about $103 a month for 900 minutes, unlimited messaging and the same 2gb(4gb) data plan. She gets a company discount on some of her changes. So between us, we spend just over $230 a month for cell phones.

How could I add her to my plan in order to get a Razr or Rezound for a penny?

I was thinking of converting my plan to a 2000 minute Family plan($99), unlimited messaging($30) and the 2GB(4GB) Data plans on each phone($30x2) for a total of $190 a month, plus taxes and stuff. So maybe $20 cheaper per month, not much, but a tad cheaper. I guess that if we had to, we could do Unlimited minutes for about the same as what we pay today.

I could do that, get her a new phone, and we could sell her TBolt to cover the Early Termination Fee on her old line? How much of the EFT do you have to pay? Does it not get pro-rated as the contract goes on?

Thoughts? I am sure I am not the only person looking to take advantage of this. Her contract started just after VZW got rid of the 12 month upgrade policy, I think she would have to wait to November of next year otherwise...

jerkwad

Reaction score
Hey man,

Kinda like me you are boned unless you want to eat the etf. If your gf doesn't mind getting a new phone number then I would drop her account, grab the penny phone and then sell the tbolt to cover the cost of the etf. I believe it goes down one of two ways.

1. $10 per month
2. $Etf/24 per month

I know my number is worth more than 299 bucks but maybe she won't care...my wife would call me crazy if I suggested this idea to her lol

If you are 1/2 way through the contract then your etf is probably about 125 ish but I think verizon has to tell you that over the phone. It you ask they might ask why you want to quit and maybe they will adjust your bill to retain you. If they apply that to your family account you can still cancel and maybe keep the discount.... I have heard of verizon doing these things for others when the customer says things are too many expensive.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey man,

Kinda like me you are boned unless you want to eat the etf. If your gf doesn't mind getting a new phone number then I would drop her account, grab the penny phone and then sell the tbolt to cover the cost of the etf. I believe it goes down one of two ways.

1. $10 per month
2. $Etf/24 per month

I know my number is worth more than 299 bucks but maybe she won't care...my wife would call me crazy if I suggested this idea to her lol

If you are 1/2 way through the contract then your etf is probably about 125 ish but I think verizon has to tell you that over the phone. It you ask they might ask why you want to quit and maybe they will adjust your bill to retain you. If they apply that to your family account you can still cancel and maybe keep the discount.... I have heard of verizon doing these things for others when the customer says things are too many expensive.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

From what I can find out online, the ETF is $350 minus a measly $10 per month you are into the contract, so at 10 months that only brings it down to $250. But if I can get a phone for a penny, sell the TBolt to cover most of the ETF, then we would come out ahead according to my math.

So how does one set this up? Just change my plan to the family plan which comes with two lines? I am not sure how to actually order this stuff, as I would be ordering the phone through Amazon and not VZW. If I set up a Family plan on my account, can I just leave no phone on the second line for now and swap the new phone from Amazon onto it?

I know what I want to do, I just don't know HOW to do it in order to make sure I get the deal and don't get hosed. I will eat the ETF and sell her TBolt to defer the cost when she closes her account.

So, who has done this and what do I need to do to make sure it goes smooth? :)

jerkwad

Reaction score
From what I can find out online, the ETF is $350 minus a measly $10 per month you are into the contract, so at 10 months that only brings it down to $250. But if I can get a phone for a penny, sell the TBolt to cover most of the ETF, then we would come out ahead according to my math.

So how does one set this up? Just change my plan to the family plan which comes with two lines? I am not sure how to actually order this stuff, as I would be ordering the phone through Amazon and not VZW. If I set up a Family plan on my account, can I just leave no phone on the second line for now and swap the new phone from Amazon onto it?

I know what I want to do, I just don't know HOW to do it in order to make sure I get the deal and don't get hosed. I will eat the ETF and sell her TBolt to defer the cost when she closes her account.

So, who has done this and what do I need to do to make sure it goes smooth? :)

Bleh @ $350 bucks !!! I thought that a law was passed that stated mobile telcos had to pro-rate their ETFs (well, i'm sure a law was passed). But of course there are always loopholes. Instead of the typical $200 they jack it up to $350 and then knock off a measly $10 per month. That barely helps the consumer at all. I will have to go back and look at the actual words in the legislation!

Sounds like you can still at least break even. I'm sure there are people that will be happy to pay about 200-300 for a non-contract 4G phone that (with a ROM) isn't half bad!

Ok, so to get to your question: I had an account for 2 years with verizon. I added my wife's line (via Amazon Mobile/Wirefly/etc they are all the same) as a port from ATT. So I had two lines on my account, but not a family plan. I went into the store and had them convert the plan to a family plan. HERE is the kicker: Converting my account to a family plan meant that I LOST my unlimited data (pissed at the time). However, my wife's plan did not change and she still has unlimited data on her DINC2. So be weary of that. I know we've discussed this unlimited thing in another thread and it sounds like you STRONGLY want to hang on to your unlimited plan ;-) Your mileage may vary but be VERY careful and ask the Verizon person all the questions before you make any changes.

I honestly don't know if you can have a family plan w/o a 2nd line on the account. I would honestly just call Verizon and ask them these questions. Tell them what you want to do w/o letting them know you are going with Amazon.

I am still not sure how you are going to do this w/o losing her current phone number though. You can't cancel the original account w/o losing the number forever. Did she agree to change her number?

Cliff Notes:
Add her line to your account via Amazon
Convert to Family Plan in the store/over the phone after you get her phone activated
- ask about your unlimited data plan first!
Add her phone to the family plan

Last edited:

DeadlyAP1

Reaction score
I asked about keeping my unlimited data plan on any new lines under my account and was told no. I was given the reason that because the new phone uses 4G data service it is not eligible for the old unlimited 3G plan. I do wonder if that is legit or they were just screwing me though.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here is what I had to do. In order to get the phone from Amazon on a second line, you have to first go to VZW and switch your individual plan to the family plan. THEN Amazon can add an additional line to your existing account and set up the new phone for a penny.

I tried to set up a new individual line and the order failed, and Amazon Wireless rep said that Amazon can set up a new account for people who are not already with VZW, or they can add a line to a family plan, but they cannot add a new individual line to existing customers.

So I called VZW, set up a Family plan with 2000 minutes and unlimited messaging, and then I ordered the Rezound. When we get it on Wednesday, we will swap numbers with her account, and then close her old account, sell the TBolt to cover the EFT and call it a day.

jerkwad

Reaction score
Ok, so here is what I had to do. In order to get the phone from Amazon on a second line, you have to first go to VZW and switch your individual plan to the family plan. THEN Amazon can add an additional line to your existing account and set up the new phone for a penny.

I tried to set up a new individual line and the order failed, and Amazon Wireless rep said that Amazon can set up a new account for people who are not already with VZW, or they can add a line to a family plan, but they cannot add a new individual line to existing customers.

So I called VZW, set up a Family plan with 2000 minutes and unlimited messaging, and then I ordered the Rezound. When we get it on Wednesday, we will swap numbers with her account, and then close her old account, sell the TBolt to cover the EFT and call it a day.

So you won't have to change her number? That's excellent news. For someone like me, that is no longer under contract, it sounds like I could do the same thing except NOT have to pay the ETF. So if your method holds true I could do the same thing since I already have a family plan. The plot thickens....just can't decide if i want to pull the trigger on the penny RAZR or pay 269 for the gnex...oh well. Hope you enjoy the Rezound and thanks for providing information from the Amazon and VZW customer support to others in this forum - I'm sure it'll help others make better informed decisions!

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
So you won't have to change her number? That's excellent news. For someone like me, that is no longer under contract, it sounds like I could do the same thing except NOT have to pay the ETF. So if your method holds true I could do the same thing since I already have a family plan. The plot thickens....just can't decide if i want to pull the trigger on the penny RAZR or pay 269 for the gnex...oh well. Hope you enjoy the Rezound and thanks for providing information from the Amazon and VZW customer support to others in this forum - I'm sure it'll help others make better informed decisions!

Well, initially the phone will come with a new number, but we can port hers over I think if we go into a VZW store and have them do the swap. At that point we are just swapping numbers, not lines. The old line we can cancel after the fact. That is the plan at least. LOL

jerkwad

Reaction score
Well, initially the phone will come with a new number, but we can port hers over I think if we go into a VZW store and have them do the swap. At that point we are just swapping numbers, not lines. The old line we can cancel after the fact. That is the plan at least. LOL

Sounds solid to me! I forgot to ask, did you confirm you won't be losing your unlimited data plan when you convert your account to the family plan? I lost mine, as I mentioned earlier. I wonder if the VZW rep was BS'ing me or the VZW rep is BS'ing you if they said you can keep your current unlimited plan!

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well, due to the new policy on throttling Unlimited users when they go over 2GB of data in a month, I decided to take advantage of the "double the data" promotion and get 4GB of data for the same price as my old Unlimited plan, figuring I am unlikely to exceed that and I won't get throttled after 2GB because they WANT you to use more data on the tiered plans so that you can be charge over-usage fees of $10 per GB. I average around 1.5GB a month but some months got close to 2GB and would have been throttled, so I figure 4GB will be good for the foreseeable future...

Cgorrell

Reaction score
Dirty Solution

So I found a work around. I was planning on porting my number to google voice anyway, so what I am doing is adding a new line and getting the amazon deal. Phone come in on the 30th, the line I have with my current number has a finished contract. this means it is on a month to month service with no termination fee if I cancel it now.

SO....I am going to port my number to google voice and then use my number that way. If you want to do this, make sure you read up on google voice to decide if it is worth it to you as google voice has its quirks, but it is also really cool.

If I decide I hate it, there is also the option to port the number from google voice back to verizon (Port your number out of Google Voice - Google Voice Help) I think you still gotta wait for the 181 day thing though (anyone else who can confirm this that would be great). This means that I gotta stick with google voice for at least 6 months. Shouldn't be an issue.

Issues I for see are: (texting can be quirky, data use when making calls {i think this is minimal though}, and setup {gonna take several extra steps})

ambrown

Reaction score
If only I were adding a new line, this deal would be killer.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app