Crashing droidx

snog

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've had my Droid X for a couple of weeks and have had multiple freezes and crashes, about a dozen. Some were cured with rebooting and some only with pulling battery out and putting back in. Also it has gone from a full battery when I went to sleep to a dead battery when I woke up - but I'm told that we should not charge all night to prevent shortening battery life. Android 2.1 is fun, the apps are great, but the crashes are very annoying.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Welcome to the Forum.

Who ever told you not to charge it overnight is an idiot....there is no harm in keeping it on charge overnight.

What apps do you have installed?

OP
S

snog

Reaction score
One more thought: I've had the most problems when driving and going through multiple wireless/cell sites with GPS on and navigator on. Droid X 2.1.

...Hmmm, good to know about the overnight thing, but on my previous dinosaur phone the batteries lost a bunch of their life in the first few months and I was charging it overnight every night. The Verizon tech. rep told me that. Perhaps those phones had 'dumb' chargers?

I've put on a bunch of apps to try, uninstalled several. All are from Android Market & AppBrain.

djbis

Reaction score
...Hmmm, good to know about the overnight thing, but on my previous dinosaur phone the batteries lost a bunch of their life in the first few months and I was charging it overnight every night. The Verizon tech. rep told me that. Perhaps those phones had 'dumb' chargers?

I've put on a bunch of apps to try, uninstalled several. All are from Android Market & AppBrain.

Don't believe the hype. Keep your battery out intense heat (locked on a seat in your car, for example) and recharge when the warning to charge comes up or when the phone can no longer operate.

Chargers HAVE come a long way...

Yourrid

Reaction score
I seem to be having a crashing problem as well. Just this past week has been the worst. It crashed on me twice within an hour tonight for whatever reason...

I hope froyo fixes everything

Phillipsave

Reaction score
Try eliminating some unnecessary preinstalled widgets, by dropping them in the garbage can at the bottom of the screen, then do a battery pull and reboot; and see if that helps. I may be off base here, but I think they take up a lot of memory that could cause a crash if you have other stuff going at the same time.

djbis

Reaction score
Try eliminating some unnecessary preinstalled widgets, by dropping them in the garbage can at the bottom of the screen, then do a battery pull and reboot; and see if that helps. I may be off base here, but I think they take up a lot of memory that could cause a crash if you have other stuff going at the same time.

Some phones experience crashing without widgets. The Facebook Sync feature (under accounts) is currently a problem for many users, you may want to disable it for the time being to test. Your crashes may stop.

nacho220

Reaction score
I'm having this same issue of restarting for no reason at all it seems. Probably 8-10 times (at least that I saw...could have done more times I dunno). I'm currently reading up on what people have posted on here and came across this forum. I am just contributing that I am having the same issue. I have also started my own thread about this. Thanks for reading.

CrashF16

Reaction score
Lots of threads on this on the other forums too. It is a known problem w/ some phones. It may get fixed w/ 2.2 update, but the recommended course of action from Motorola's Support Forum manager is to get a new phone.

nacho220

Reaction score
I booted into safe mode as someone had suggested. They said that if while in safe mode it doesn't crash it is a problem with one of the apps. So far, so good, no crashing ... but which app?!?!

nacho220

Reaction score
Since my last posts on these "crashing" threads, my phone has rebooted a few times. One thing I noticed is that when it "crashes"/reboots it doesnt reset the phone-up timer...so I guess it isn't fully turning off and on. I was going to try to pay attention to that and see when it reset, if it did, while I was in safe mode. It never rebooted while in safe mode, but then again, as I just mentioned, I guess I wouldn't have known by looking at the phone up timer. Anyways....I thought that those of us that are having these "crashing" problems might be able to exchange their list of apps? Since it looks like it might be an app issue, maybe if we see that we all have certain apps, that we can determine that they might be the cause of it. Anyone share their app list on Appbrain? That'd be an easy way to do it -- just post your Appbrain app list.
Just a thought....