Cracked Screen for no apparent reason?? Possible cause...?

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I talked with my husband about this and he said puffed batteries can still work, if they're not puffed too badly. (Although they could still crack the screen.) But he thought it would be interesting to see if this happens more frequently to people who have run their battery down more often as that's hard on the battery. He has pretty extensive experience with this due to his RC helicopter hobby and owns heaven only knows how many batteries and chargers. :rolleyes:

You know me and my position regarding the misuse/abuse of these batteries by some who seem to want to sound like they know what they're talking about. There are so many threads, not just here but on other forums as welll and I cringe every time I read one that tells the owners to drain their batteries to 0% and then fully charge, or worse - to cycle charge for "at least 3 times". I also cringe when I see the suggestion that people let their batteries fully charge and once the phone says it is completed charging, to unplug, wait a few minutes and then plug back in to "fool the charger into topping off the battery".

Why don't people just use the thing the way it was intended and stop trying to re-engineer the highly engineered devices they have in their hands. Makes you think they believe these were put together out of scrap parts and in somebody's basement or garage, for God's sake! This isn't a Science Project, people...this is perhaps one of the most highly engineered devices you have ever had the pleasure of touching let alone holding in the palm of your hand, not to mention communicating globally at lightning speed no less.

I suppose theres always going to be someone who thinks they can make a better paper clip, but the truth is...that person comes maybe once every 100 years or so (Paper Clip - eNotes.com ).

Back to the thread...for those who haven't seen this video, it's pretty revealing just how little room there is inside these phones for any kind of expansion of a battery. Also, you get to see just how the battery sits fused onto the front of the motherboard with double-sided tape, then which the back is then fused the same way right up against the back of the SAMOLED Display. It's all too easy to believe that the expansion of a battery could put pressure on the front of the motherboard, and flex it upwards toward the screen where the back presses up against the back of the screen glass. Fiberglass with a metal laminate (the copper) against glass...need I say more?

[video=youtube;7ridjtcza7E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ridjtcza7E&feature=player_embedded[/video]

rdgxray

Reaction score
I wonder if this is why after playing angry birds for an hour or 2, my phone gets hot and the screen stops responding? I have to reboot with simulated battery pull. Happens when using other apps for long periods also, anyone else suffer heat and the screen not responding? Battery swelling causing this? Or just the heat maybe?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I wonder if this is why after playing angry birds for an hour or 2, my phone gets hot and the screen stops responding? I have to reboot with simulated battery pull. Happens when using other apps for long periods also, anyone else suffer heat and the screen not responding? Battery swelling causing this? Or just the heat maybe?

It's quite possible that when the phone gets warm/hot, one of several things could happen...straight from common sense, the battery could swell slightly pressing on the RF shields, and with the slight flex of the motherboard one or more contacts could be temporarily compromised, or the heat could cause one or more ICs to reach a temperature that makes it unstable and causes it to freeze/stall. I am sure there are other possibilities as well.

monkey_man

Reaction score

I don't think this has anything to do with Battery swelling, but a pure too much handling the phone and need to start to use Laptop again for goodness sake :D. I had this with OG Droid, Droid 2 Global, and also Droid Razr Maxx just cause my brother watches videos too long. Droid 2 Global had unresponsive screen and had to do battery pull. For the maxx tho, the device just rebooted itself so maybe there is a fail safe made by Motorola to prevent breaking the phone too fast :p

P.S: That is a good find video of regular razr, and Motorola seems to put a retainer to the Li-on battery to prevent over-swelling. Unlike my Mini Cam that just pure pouch, so good thinking by Motorola there. I wonder if those cracked phones that caused by battery's swell had a shorter talk time, for that is the first symptom of damaged battery.

indee2025

Reaction score
Actually you are 100% correct. I am in the middle of compiling a "Troubleshooting 101" thread, as well as a "Battery" thread and in the battery thread, I mentioned exactly what you are referring to. I had posted a short video on another thread of a LIPO pouch pack bursting into flames within mere fractions of a second after being punctured with a nail, but heat can cause the same reaction as there becomes what is called a "thermal runaway" that takes place internally in the battery and can be a violent event with an explosion followed by flames blowing out like a torch. Just recently a man had part of his tongue and several teeth blown out along with facial burns when his electronic cigarette's LIPO battery exploded.

Here's a link to the article and video coverage (Electronic Cigarette Explodes In Man's Mouth, Burns His Face ) and, no...that's not a joke (huffington post - cigarette), but sorry for the unintended pun.

:redface:

Here's one of the videos, but Youtube has plenty. This guy is using the ipod playing a game and it suddenly bursts out on two corners. Look at 00:54 seconds on the video ([video=youtube;9cU_HYFNuNU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cU_HYFNuNU&feature=related[/video]).

Here's an iPhone 3 battery that expanded in the phone for this guy ([video=youtube;JFwn0MJTw6A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFwn0MJTw6A&feature=related[/video]).

This is a perfect example of how such an event could put excess pressure on the display glass (under the Gorilla Glass), and crack it but not crack the Gorilla Glass as has happened for some, and yet go undetected by the owner. Since the RAZR is a tightly laminated package, even the slightest expansion of the battery pack could cause the cracks.

Really? No one has commented on that video?? This video is incredibly fake, in fact it's so fake at the end I was expecting Big Foot to walk across the screen.

On another note I could see swelling batteries being an issue, but not unless it was manufactured incorrectly (discussed earlier, which means take it back to store) or you are using a charging adapter that is providing more power than the manufacturer designed it to give to battery (speed chargers etc)

SallyC

Reaction score
Really? No one has commented on that video?? This video is incredibly fake, in fact it's so fake at the end I was expecting Big Foot to walk across the screen.

On another note I could see swelling batteries being an issue, but not unless it was manufactured incorrectly (discussed earlier, which means take it back to store) or you are using a charging adapter that is providing more power than the manufacturer designed it to give to battery (speed chargers etc)

I don't think manufacturing problems are the only cause of battery puffing. According to this article "It is commonly caused by overcharging a battery and then leaving it unused for a long time. It may also be caused by extreme changes in temperature." FoxKat elaborates on these dangers in many of his posts and I think brings up a possibility here that's worth some research.

As far as Big Foot, as a Coast to Coast AM listener, I've learned to be open minded.

Redbeaver

Reaction score
Here's one of the videos, but Youtube has plenty. This guy is using the ipod playing a game and it suddenly bursts out on two corners. Look at 00:54 seconds on the video ([video=youtube;9cU_HYFNuNU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cU_HYFNuNU&feature=related[/video]).

i admit i didnt read the rest of the posts after this one, but i just gotta point it out.... that's a fake. lol

edit: LOL RIGHT JUST ABOVE ME.
/internethighfive indee!