maxx screen/lcd question

27sean

Reaction score
I was planning on getting a razr maxx this weekend. It will be my first smart phone and I wanted to take advantage of the verizon double data deal which ends on the 5th.

While researching this phone I have seen lots of posts about the screen and/or lcd panel easily cracking. Some have said that the screen even cracked all on its own with speculation that the battery can expand and crack the screen.

Droid Razr Maxx – Broken Screen | Relaxing-Fun

Is this a chronic problem with the razr maxx?

For those that own the razr maxx, how well are they holding up?

rn701

Reaction score
Had mine for about 3 months. No problems at all. Seems pretty solid.

Have a gel case and no screen protector. I'm not real rough on it and am not out in harsh environments, but it has been out in a kayak a couple of times banging around in a dry bag with car keys and other junk and also gets tossed in the car console every now and then and no problems so far. Knock on wood. I usually carry it in my front pocket (the auto-sleep pocket mode is nice) and wouldn't put it in a hip pocket for fear of sitting on it and breaking it.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think the Razr might be more prone to this due to the thinness of the phone. I think the extra bulk of the Mighty Maxx might help, but that's only a guess. I imagine that most of the problems are operator error and not spontaneous cracking of the screen. Putting the phone in a back pocket and sitting on it is never a good idea, but I see it happening all the time. Even in the front pocket can cause a lot of bending stress on the phone. Get a case (Seidio, Otterbox, etc) that will add some more rigidity to the phone and I'm sure it will be fine. The reports of batteries swelling and causing the cracking are very few and far between. I have a Seidio case and I'm not worried at all about the screen cracking.

thebeeobee

Reaction score
I read that blog post and all of the comments. Good link.

I opted for no insurance when I bought mine, thinking that a $170 repair bill is actually cheaper than $8 a month + $99 deductible in the long run.

The comments are divided into three camps:

There are people that dropped their phone and the screen broke. This seems very normal and I've seen it happen with Iphones all the time. Point of impact determines if the screen will crack or not and really, there is nothing you can do about it except have a case that hopefully absorbs impact.

Some people are implying that the "mystery cracking" is heat related - and that the phone has no space to expand and bulges in the heat. Well, summer is coming and that theory will really be put to the test when a phone is plugged into a charger in a hot car.

A lot of people are finding cracks when they pull it out of their pockets, apparently. Welp, maybe time invest in a man-purse.

I know there are some independent repair technicians that repair Razrs (based on threads that I've read on here)...it would be nice to get their take on what is going! If anyone knows of any, maybe ask them about the screen issues and report back here.

rsrbob

Reaction score
Droid Razr Screen Cracked

Yep, they do. Congrats to those who have not had the bad experience yet. My second one just cracked. I had the first one about 13 mos and it cracked. Verizon agreed to replace it NC to me. The second one lasted about 3 mos. Motorola will not admit to a defect or even a trend of products failing, but it is prevalent on the internet.

rsrbob

Reaction score
RE:

Two things to consider. First it has a carbon fiber back, which is known for strength and rigidity. Second, small pieces of glass, albeit gorilla glass, are not known to be flexible. Logic would dictate that the outer glass would crack if the phone experienced much in the line of flexing. I am giving a lot more credence to the theory of the battery getting hot and expanding and exerting pressure on the LCD screen/glass causing the failure, and less credence to the phone flex theory. I will readlily admit 2 things. I have noticed my phone getting hot on numerous occasions, and the last time it cracked, it was in my back pocket, BUT, it was in the pocket with my wallet, which in my mind would serve as an additional reinforcement to resist flexing.

Last edited:

DROIDX2TN

Reaction score
I've had mine for well over a year. It's been really hot, left in the sun, sat on when in my back pocket. No problem here.

JClintB

Reaction score
Myself and my wife have both had ours for over a year and no problems at all. Great phones, I have mine in an otter box and have dropped it many times with no problems.

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
Had mine since just about the time they came out, no issues with the screen, its been sat on, in my back pocket, thrown at the ground screen first (accidentally) and sent down several driveways in a cartwheeling motion (also accidental), all with the screen intact and uncracked!!!

I'll post on here tomorrow if the screen gods decide I'm bragging and crack my screen with a feather or something!!! :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2