Cracked screen -- can we replace top half slider?

dbooksta

Reaction score
What are best solutions for replacing cracked screen?

Since less than half of the phone is in the top half slider (the part that has the screen, as opposed to the part that has the keyboard) is there anyplace selling that piece if we don't want to try the riskier screen replacement?

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
dbooksta said:
What are best solutions for replacing cracked screen?

Since less than half of the phone is in the top half slider (the part that has the screen, as opposed to the part that has the keyboard) is there anyplace selling that piece if we don't want to try the riskier screen replacement?

I have replaced the digitizer and the bezel twice now. Its not a hard thing to fix. The whole piece is going to cost you over $100 and you have to follow the same process to get it off. If the bezel is not bent or messed up you can pick up a digitizer for $30 on eBay with the tools. There are instructional videos on the net for disassembling the phone. You will need a plastic separator and a t3 and t5 screwdriver. Make sure to do it on a static proof plastic(like you get with computer components) or use ceramic to do your work on. Ceramic is an insulator and static proof.

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks! So the "glass" or "screen" is properly referred to as the "digitizer" -- and I assume refers to this: Amazon.com: Motorola XT862 Droid 3 Touch Screen Glass Digitizer Replacement Part: Everything Else

In this case the bezel has been damaged as well (my wife stepped on it after dropping it screen down), so if I wanted to get the entire top half what would the part be called?

yes that is he glass you want. here is a link to the front housing or "bezel" is i call it. PH-HO-MT-411 Front Housing for Motolola XT862 Droid 3

OP
D

dbooksta

Reaction score
OMG: Even accelerated and with nothing going wrong [video=youtube;A_S9S9YLz7A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_S9S9YLz7A"]it takes this guy 10 minutes just to get the screen out[/video]! I thought there would be an easier way to get the half of the slider with the screen out without having to completely disassemble the phone. What a pain!

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
dbooksta said:
OMG: Even accelerated and with nothing going wrong YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_S9S9YLz7A"]it takes this guy 10 minutes just to get the screen out! I thought there would be an easier way to get the half of the slider with the screen out without having to completely disassemble the phone. What a pain!

Its really not that bad. Just take your time Once you get to just the housing with the digitizer you really dont have to be THAT careful seeing as it is already broken. It took me about 30 min the first time. I took my time, no distractions. Remember $46 is a hell of a lot better than $100 on insurance or $180 for a used one.