Cracked screen, 11 day old phone, help!

popbot

Reaction score
First post, wish it was on a happier note.

So two days ago (+9 days from purchase) I take my phone out of my pocket to find a small, 1/2 to 3/4 inch crack on the upper left hand side of my screen.

:icon_eek:

I actually used it for a while before noticing the issue. We aren't talking I-dropped-it-nine-feet-on-a-concrete-corner spider crack, just a hairline from the left side to the top. No idea why it is there. Never dropped, had a case on it since day one. I figure it must have been pressure and it bent and cracked. Seems weird because I don't wear skinny jeans nor do I put anything in the same pocket as my phone, but whatever.

The crappy part is I was planning on taking my phone in this week because I was having issues of the screen being randomly unresponsive and needing a reset to work.

So my question: Am I just straight SOL? Does the existence of other issues and the recentness of the purchase help at all in negotiating another phone out of Verizon? Or am I an insane optimist who deserves to be mocked?

FYI, I don't have insurance, but even if I did it costs more to use it than to send the phone straight to Motorola to repair ($89 vs $75).

Sorry for another "Crack screen QQ" thread, but I thought I'd ask before dropping money and being phone-less for a week or more.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can **try** to explain your story to Verizon, but I dont see it going anywhere.... Cracked screen typically indicates abuse, which would eliminate your warranty possibilities. Give it a shot -- worst thing they say is "go away". You can also try negotiating straight with Motorola, but I dont put much hope in that either.

What other problems were you having? We may be able to help....

Welcome to the forum. Sorry it's not under better circumstances.

OP
P

popbot

Reaction score
Thanks for welcome.

The issue I am having is the phone would hang when going back to the homescreen. Sometimes I could just hit a button and the screen would work again, but more than once I had to remove the battery to get it to be responsive. Stock 2.2, like I said just bought it 11 days ago.

That was pretty much my plan re: cracked screen. I am 99% sure they are going to just look at me like I'm stupid, but gotta try.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd try a factory reset to solve your hanging problem.

Try using that as leverage when you contact VZW or Moto -- it's worth a shot.

Good luck.

OP
P

popbot

Reaction score
Thanks Lt,

I am not looking forward to going in there: "Uhh... So my screen is cracked... but my phone was totally having problems before that... so... uhh... can I get another one?"

Have a good night.

tommyb38

Reaction score
The cracked screen is going to void your warranty, and that is not Verizon's policy, that is Motorola. I am against phones being kept in pockets. Electronic items have 3 main enemies: 1-dust and dirt, 2-heat, and 3-moisture. Now, I don't know if you have ever been in your pocket, but it is not always the cleanest enviroment(lint, dust). Plus you have your body heat, and we all know jeans don't really breathe all that well, so on a hot day you are trapping heat, and we all sweat and that is where the moisture comes in. I have had customers that have bumped their phone that was in their pocket on an open car door and crack the screen. You would be surprised how often you bump your pockets in a days time. Backs of chairs, tables, car doors, and railings are all about pocket height.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The cracked screen is going to void the warranty, but I think insurance is available up to 30 days after purchase, not that I'd recommend doing that since it constitutes fraud.

infinity8x3

Reaction score
I am against phones being kept in pockets.
Then where the heck do you suggest keeping it? In a purse lol. Real men can carry every thing they need in there pocket.

Btw clip holders get bumped way more then pockets.

The dirt in the world outside of your pocket is far greater than the amount of dirt inside of your pocket.

If the phone is in your pocket and you spill a drink or what ever in your lap, at least your jeans will absorb most of the blow and it will be nothing like it would if the liquid got spilled full on the phone.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The cracked screen is going to void your warranty, and that is not Verizon's policy, that is Motorola. I am against phones being kept in pockets. Electronic items have 3 main enemies: 1-dust and dirt, 2-heat, and 3-moisture. Now, I don't know if you have ever been in your pocket, but it is not always the cleanest enviroment(lint, dust). Plus you have your body heat, and we all know jeans don't really breathe all that well, so on a hot day you are trapping heat, and we all sweat and that is where the moisture comes in. I have had customers that have bumped their phone that was in their pocket on an open car door and crack the screen. You would be surprised how often you bump your pockets in a days time. Backs of chairs, tables, car doors, and railings are all about pocket height.

+1! Sucks that happened man, I've been there too!

OP
P

popbot

Reaction score
resolution

So I go in to the Verizon store I bought the phone from, explain what happened, and without a word the associate goes back and gets me a new phone. Wow. Did not expect that. Admittedly the phone did have other problems and I bought it like 13 days ago, but I was still surprised.

+1 Verizon, well played.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Outstading. See, every now and again you get a human being :)

Glad it worked out for you.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I go in to the Verizon store I bought the phone from, explain what happened, and without a word the associate goes back and gets me a new phone. Wow. Did not expect that. Admittedly the phone did have other problems and I bought it like 13 days ago, but I was still surprised.

+1 Verizon, well played.

Verizon has great customer service. I'm not surprised.

lchavez289

Reaction score
I'm waiting for the part where you say...."After I got my phone, I immediately added insurance to my phone."
:)