Morning Surprise - Cracked Screen

Detonation

Reaction score
Do you carry your phone in your pocket or book bag, briefcase, something that may have pressed against your phone and cracked it and you just noticed the crack today?

I am now thinking this may have to be the answer

I did call a regular verizon store instead of the reseller and they said I had 2 options

1. Pay $50 and get another Droid with only 90 days warranty

2. Pay $90 and go through the insurance process and get a 1 year warranty

What would some of you guys recommend? Thanks

There's little to no chance of this happening for you, but when I broke the screen on my old phone I did the $50 refurb replacement, however it must have slipped through the system because I was never charged and my original 1 year warranty from the day I first got it remained (I found this out when the refurb died a few months later and to my surprise they told me I was still under warranty).

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Luckily she didn't make any jokes about the size of the headphone jack. :frown:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1. Pay $50 and get another Droid with only 90 days warranty

2. Pay $90 and go through the insurance process and get a 1 year warranty

What would some of you guys recommend? Thanks

If it were me I'd pay the extra 40 bucks. I'd also ask what happens if it cracks again in 91 days for both option 1 and option 2.

Reaction score
i know the MS zune had an issue that it could crack the screen from charging.... but seems unlikely, as most people let their phone charge over night, and some people heat those batteries up alot while OC'ing, since you still have your inital 30days... i imagine you are not rooted or OCed, the refurbs should be of the same quality as a new droid, but i think for piece of mind since you dont know what caused it, go with the 90$ and get the year, id say that is some BS! :icon_evil:

smokiedabong

Reaction score
The toughtnes of tempered glass is given by it's internal tension , if it has a flaw in it's internal structure and that balance is boken , it can crack very easy from temperature variations or small shocks . I saw a lot of cases when glass simply cracked without touching it or from thermal shock , from glass tables to electronics , last one was a 50 inch plasma .

bd1212

Reaction score
I am livid right now. I have taken extreme care of this phone and did not drop it. I went to the verizon store and they were no help, says its damaged. No sheet.

I got the deal to get a Droid and a free Eris for my wife. If I turn in the phones I have to pay full value for the Moto droid (How much is that?)

Otherwise I can file an insurance claim for $90 and probably get a refurb

(no I have no chldren)

Any ideas? Do they have screen replacements?

Oh and to make matters worse I just bought a case and holster for $40 online :mad:

Try filing a claim at Asurion. Asurion ? Your Technology Protection Company

OP
A

Acolyte

Reaction score
Update:

I got my new droid in the mail today. Fast service from Asurion and phone looks great. Have my new Seido case on it this time, this case is excellent, I highly recommend it.

I still have no idea how i cracked the screen, but I have a concern. Does it matter if you use a charger not for a droid? I was charging it with the charger from my verizon mifi2200. Just in case I will not do that again.

Thanks for all the help friends

loophole

Reaction score
thats funny how some of you guys have posts about your wife being jealous of your phone.. hehe my wife likes mine.. anytime we go anywhere together she usually asks to play with it to browse the web etc... she doesn't really need a smartphone as she stays home with the kid and we have cable internet..... no since in paying the extra 30 a month on top this one.

OP
A

Acolyte

Reaction score
My wife was pissed at me for trying to act like I didn't care whether I got the eris or the droid, but when she said she wanted the droid she called my bluff.

My only argument was that droid was made for men, therefore she should take the eris :}