Cpu1

juice2013

Reaction score
Dont know if anyone else has found this yet but I find by changing the value of /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online to a 1 instead of a 0 my phone gets a bit faster. Don't quote me on this but I believe it may activate the second core. If it has been found is there a way to make it activate after x ram is left free? If not anyone care to help make a script?

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, I'll say maybe 90%, that doing this will cause battery drain if the change sticks.

If the system or an app needs the second core, it will be activated as needed, running it all the time would be a waste of resources.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my DROID X2

ovelayer

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, I'll say maybe 90%, that doing this will cause battery drain if the change sticks.

If the system or an app needs the second core, it will be activated as needed, running it all the time would be a waste of resources.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my DROID X2

I would have to agree :icon_ banana:

OP
J

juice2013

Reaction score
OK what if there were a Turbo toggle widget or something? I will agree your phone dies faster but I got like five hours of essentially continued use on an already somewhat charged phone. It does make a noticeable difference

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

zakth

Reaction score
Nice find, but not something I would keep full time as the battery would surely drain faster. Perhaps someone could make a widget as stated above.

OP
J

juice2013

Reaction score
One other side note... it looks like the other files in this area help control frequency given the correct kernel and governor. I'm not very familiar with kernel programming but frequency control could maybe be included with the current widget idea.

zakth

Reaction score
Agreed, would be nice to adjust this thing so it does not use much battery when you just need it to last 10+ hours in a low signal area and only need to text/check facebook.

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's already being adjusted by the system, when the second core is needed it's turned on. Or when an app calls for it, it's fired up.

Same thing with the frequencies, your phone already cycles through all the available frequencies from 216 to 1000, depending on the load on the processor.

Sent from my DROID X2

OP
J

juice2013

Reaction score
Yeah this is for those who want more on demand power. The battery would be an obvious and replenishable sacrifice.

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
LMAO, you're not going to get any more "ondemand power" by doing this. The best thing you're going to get is your screens will scroll a fraction faster in your launcher, if you're phone is just sitting there. The difference will be tiny and your battery will just drain for no reason.

At idle only 1 processor is used, but almost any task will trigger the second core to be put into use. Automatically, out of the box, without messing around with system parameters. Just launching the browser for example will activate the second core.

Editing the file in the OP is tantamount to using setcpu but setting it to min 1000, max 1000; ALL THE TIME. In other words, pointless 99.999999999999% of the time.

Sent from my DROID X2

OP
J

juice2013

Reaction score
I will not claim to be an expert in this field as I am a Chem major. Most things I know about computers I taught myself out of need or doing the it work at an office that I should've been doing ip law paralegal work. Now correct me if I am wrong but processors work by processing data stored in temporary memory, such as ram or swap, in order of need until that data is removed in an event such as killing a process or exiting an application. But all the aforenentioned data must be processed. The processor works on a cycle that is tuned to a particular frequency describing the rate at which the data is processed. Using my understanding, if a processor were to have a sixty percent load of its potential maximum and it were to divide the work by outsourcing some of the work to its sibling core(s), making each have a thirty percent load the time to cycle through that data would be reduced by fifty percent. Accordingly the efficiency of the entire processor would be increased 100%. Unless one is playing a game or leaving many apps open and running, the processor is not being used to its maximum.