Could my baseband version be affecting my battery life?

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I'm running 014301p baseband, but I'm wondering if it is offering me the best battery life for my phone. I feel that my battery life was better on the 013e03p baseband. But everyone seems to think that staying with the latest baseband will give me more bars. But what about the battery life? I don't know if I want more bars if it is compromising my battery life.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Some people have found a subjective difference between basebands, as well as some objective differences, while comparing the two. Most people have better luck with the new baseband. As such, it's possible you'd have better battery with the old baseband.

However, unless you got a bad install, you WILL have better service with the new baseband. There are a few things you could do to try to improve your battery life with your new baseband, including the *228 trick.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
also, in addition what fur said, do you run task killers or virus apps?

OP
L

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I do have a task killer on my phone and I have all the applications I want it to kill setup in my kill list, but I don't have the application automatically kill them anymore. I used to do that a few months ago. At this point I pretty much use it once in a blue moon to kill task. I've been thinking about removing it now for a while. I don't have any virus applications on my phone.

I have SetCPU running at conservative with a min of 250 and max of 550 when the phone is asleep and demand with a min 400 and max of 800 when in use. The reason why I thought it might be a baseband issue is because I used to be able leave my phone in standby for like 18 to 22 hours and loose only like 30% off a full charge with minimum use. Now under the same condtions seem to use twice the amount of battery if not more. But it does seem to vary.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
A min of 400MHz at ANY setting will eat battery alive. Try putting the screen-off profile to a max of 400 and your regular setting to a min of 250. Your Quadrant score might decrease but you really won't notice any difference in performance, just battery life. :) FroYo's JIT compiler is that good. Really, it is.

A task killer is always running so it's always making the CPU work harder. Try getting rid of it (you can always put it back if you want, though we don't suggest it) and see if it helps as well.

OP
L

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick feedback, I will delete my task killer and set my max for sleep mode to 400 and I'll also try out 250 for a max. I really don't perform any type of performance testing on my phone, so quandrant scores would even affect me.

But I can't help but wonder how is the CPU in a stock Droid 1 regulated in terms of the min and max? Does it constantly run at 550 or does it back off when nothing is being demanded of the processor.

OP
L

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
What I forgot to mention in the last post was I will dial min back to 250 when the phone is in use.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the ondemand profile in setcpu is just what it says: its sped up to the max when it needs to but when its not needed its scaled back down

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
A stock droid is currently running at either 125 or 250 (used to be 125 but I've seen some 250 posts for stock rooters) up to 800 when Flash is running. Otherwise it tops out at 600 with the stock kernel.

That's what my information gathering has accrued. Since Flash under Linux requires 800MHz of CPU speed (which puts my laptop out of luck ;)) the stock kernel will govern up to that when needed/under SetCPU.

If I'm way off, someone tell me. :D