Contacts won't sync with Gmail

Thunder926

Reaction score
I can't get my contacts on my phone to sync with my online gmail account. If I add a new contact in my contact list on the computer it will show up on my phone but all the contacts on my phone won't sync into gmail. Hope that makes sense. I went into Settings --> Sync and forced gmail to sync and it runs but never syncs. I talked to the guy at the VzW store and he thinks it might have something to do with the fact he transfered my contacts from the blackberry to the droid with their machine. Should that matter? Any ideas to get this to sync?

Goose4213

Reaction score
I can't get my contacts on my phone to sync with my online gmail account. If I add a new contact in my contact list on the computer it will show up on my phone but all the contacts on my phone won't sync into gmail. Hope that makes sense. I went into Settings --> Sync and forced gmail to sync and it runs but never syncs. I talked to the guy at the VzW store and he thinks it might have something to do with the fact he transfered my contacts from the blackberry to the droid with their machine. Should that matter? Any ideas to get this to sync?
Have you, at any point, set up a gmail account FROM your phone or did you initially set it up on your pc?

OP
T

Thunder926

Reaction score
It was setup directly from my phone. I was able to get it to work.

My new Droid will not sync contacts with my google account. The contacts say "Phone-only (unsynced) contact. - Google Mobile Help

1. Open contacts
2. Import/Export - Export to SD Card (internal one).
3. Import/Export - Import from SD Card (same file you just exported.
4. Done. Recheck your google account online.. it should start syncing if you have the sync setting correct.

This re-writes all of your unsynced contacts to a google synced one. You much have your gmail account already setup for this to work.

stuigi

Reaction score

My new Droid will not sync contacts with my google account. The contacts say "Phone-only (unsynced) contact. - Google Mobile Help

1. Open contacts
4. Done. Recheck your google account online.. it should start syncing if you have the sync setting correct.

This re-writes all of your unsynced contacts to a google synced one. You much have your gmail account already setup for this to work.

Great, thanks for your help. I now have duplicates of evey one of my contacts. Dont give help if you don't know what you are talking about

OP
T

Thunder926

Reaction score

1. Open contacts

Great, thanks for your help. I now have duplicates of evey one of my contacts. Dont give help if you don't know what you are talking about

Go into people and press menu then view. Uncheck you phone and it will only display you gmail contacts. Glad I'm in a good mood because I normally don't tolerate anyone talking to anyone like that. However I also have to remember how tuff everyone is sitting behind a keyboard. Anyway that should fix your problem and your contacts will sync beyween the 2 now. Have a wonderful day.

metstang

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my contacts. Thunder926, thank you for taking the time to explain how to fix it. I appreciate it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

stuigi

Reaction score

1. Open contacts

Go into people and press menu then view. Uncheck you phone and it will only display you gmail contacts. Glad I'm in a good mood because I normally don't tolerate anyone talking to anyone like that. However I also have to remember how tuff everyone is sitting behind a keyboard. Anyway that should fix your problem and your contacts will sync beyween the 2 now. Have a wonderful day.

First off, I apologize. I realized that as soon as I hit submit. I was up till 3 in the morning last night trying to get my PC, laptop and phone to sync with each other. That was a chore. My issue is that I have never used Gmail and have no contacts in there. I am trying to get my phones contacts to sync into gmail. It's just not happening. Once again, sorry for the flame

Reaction score
Hello! Thanks for posting the step-by-step. I exported and imported - so far so good. But for some reason, when I sync to google, nothing happens. It goes through the syncing process, but nothing transfers. The whole "process" lasts only a few seconds since it's not actually transferring anything. Any ideas?

1. Open contacts

chascomus

Reaction score
This solved my problem! Thanks a lot......Now, I made a new gmail account with ONLY phone numbers. My goal is to sync my cel phone with this gmail account and have ONLY phone numbers and no email addresses. I have over 3000 useless email addresses that I dont want in my cel phone. I know I can configure my cel phone to show only contacts with phones, but I like to keep things clean.
Thanks again!

carlgrz

Reaction score
Hi Android friends. First post from me. I had exactly the same issue as the OP and the fix suggested doesn't actually solve this problem. The issue is that syncing your contacts with googlemail won't sync the contacts saved to your phone. I have the answer!

Firstly go to people,menu,import/export and in turn export SIM,phone and Google contacts to SD card. Then still in people, menu, delete and delete all of your contacts (this will delete them from the phone but not the SD card). Then all you have to do is import the contacts from your SD card and select your google account as the destination.
Now you can go to accounts and sync, sync your contacts and the whole shebang should sync across with no problems.

ali_777

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
CELL

1. Open contacts

Thanks, Manually export and import google contact works for me.

Kiroling

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung galaxy s5
Thanks, Manually export and import google contact works for me.
There is a free method to sync contacts with Gmail. Follow a step to import contacts from Gmail to android phone.
Step 1: Click "Setting" icon on your mobile phone
Step 2: Choose the "Accounts"
Step 3: Hit the "Google" option
Step 4. Enter and Sync Gmail contacts

Last edited:

rax369

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 D850
In my case this little guide fixed my problem:

1) Go to Settings. Select Applications.
2) Select Manage Applications.