Contacts won't display (Droid X w/ Gingerbread)

MatthewHSE

Reaction score
Since upgrading to rooted Gingerbread via these instructions, I can't view any of my contacts or add new ones. The contacts list opens okay, searching works, etc., but trying to actually view a contact individually or add a new one just flashes the window up for a second and then closes the whole Contacts app and shows me the homescreen. In a possibly related issue, I'm also having the problem of the sync icon not going away. Any ideas on how to fix this, ideally without a full restore?

MP3Lance

Reaction score
Hey - I have experienced the same thing and it took a wipe to fix the problem. I did notice that the problem occurs when you sync your contacts with Facebook or Link'd IN. Once you wipe and just sync with your google contacts, it seems to be having no problems for the past 2 weeks. I would like to know if there is a fix for this problem or an update that needs to be done?

OP
M

MatthewHSE

Reaction score
I wound up using Root Explorer to rename BlurContactsSync.apk, which fixed the problem and does not appear to have stopped my contacts from syncing with Google.

MP3Lance

Reaction score
What was it named prior to renaming it and what did you rename it to?

OP
M

MatthewHSE

Reaction score
I believe it was originally 'BlurContactsSync.apk' and I just renamed it to 'BlurContactsSync.bak'. And since my last post, I have confirmed that my contacts do, indeed, seem to sync correctly.

HMOTU

Reaction score
I believe it was originally 'BlurContactsSync.apk' and I just renamed it to 'BlurContactsSync.bak'. And since my last post, I have confirmed that my contacts do, indeed, seem to sync correctly.

Thanks! I tried everything else to no avail. Renaming the file got my phone contacts working again!

g1waves

Reaction score
You SIR, are my personal HERO today!!!

I wound up using Root Explorer to rename BlurContactsSync.apk, which fixed the problem and does not appear to have stopped my contacts from syncing with Google.

I rooted my phone for the first time ever about a week ago and started getting trigger happy deleting bloatware. and then I realized I couldn't add contacts to my phone. Women were only numbers and not names,,, the horror, the shame. (then I got a dude's number screwed up too!) I have tried everything... and I mean everything. Again this is my first experience with rooting..... so, I tried to re-install yahoo. (didn't work). I tried to use ez root explorer to copy and paste the yahoo contacts apk and friends (didn't work) I got the big $4 root explorer and copy and pasted yahoocontacts.apk and friends, and set permissions and whatnot;;; which was certain to fix the problem according to another forum ( aaaa didn't work) the I wiped my phone (still no add contact, or view contact) and then I factory reset my phone ( that's right, still didn't fix it)

and then like a bright shinning light your post appeared on my screen, and once again I tried,,, only this time SWEET SUCCESS!!!!! And, so, you see I had to do another thing that I normally don't, which was to sign up to be part of a forum, just to say THANK YOU!!!!!

JpAll4Christ

Reaction score

Another happy camper here! :D I had rooted my FROYO DX last spring but just updated to GB and went to open up a contact this morning and couldn't. Boy was I miffed! I googled the problem and voila, here was the answer and I am a happy camper! Thank you SO much, MatthewHSE!!dancedroid

AtechGuy

Reaction score

For anyone looking for the APK, it is in /system/app and is called BlurContactsSync.apk There is also likely to be a file called BlurContactsSync.odex in there as well. I renamed them both and then tried opening a contact. Matthew, you are my HERO!:icon_ lala:

Garydee

Reaction score
Just came across this same issue with my X this morning. Found a even quicker fix than changing the file name; app store and downloaded "Go Contacts es" - free app that works much the same as the old "contacts" one that failed. Works perfectly until I get a chance to dig in deeper.

droidx95501

Reaction score
thank you!!

:icon_ lala: this worked wonderully!! save me a factory reset. thanks again!

Jakefreese

Reaction score
I got root explorer and it will not let me rename that file. I am having the same issue. What do I need to do to rename? Thanks!

droidx95501

Reaction score
I got root explorer and it will not let me rename that file. I am having the same issue. What do I need to do to rename? Thanks!

i had to make switch to in r/w mode and not read only, then it would allow me to change the file name