contacts organization

tortoracer

Reaction score
My phone has contacts sourcing from (most) facebook, backup assistant, internal storage etc...but this makes changing anything within the contact an extreme hassle. Backup assistant seems to have each contact in 2 or 3 ways...

Is there any way to take care of all of my contacts with only one or two sources?

I need to change each number in 4 different places as it stands for it to change properly.

GigaJake

Reaction score
I highly recommend ONLY using Google to backup your contacts. It makes it so there are no duplicates and you can easily transfer them between your phone.

Using a computer, log into your gmail account, and where it sails Mail on the top left, change it to Contacts. You can see what contacts you have backed up there. I had to spend an evening just getting everything organized, but it is so incredibly worth it.

Once you have a complete list on Google, go to your settings on your phone, then accounts, and make sure to unsync your google contacts and your backup assistant contacts. You should only see your local storage contacts. Delete those, and then only sync your google ones. In the future, whenever you get a new google phone or have to perform a factory reset, simply signing into your google account will guarantee you have all your contacts.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

OP
T

tortoracer

Reaction score
If i dont end up with a google phone?

Can i/should i backup to my sd card also?

I like having facebook sync also, how does that play into it?

Thank you for your quick reply!

Also any other good apps to manage contacts?

GigaJake

Reaction score
Backup assistant is really only useful for a non-google phone. If you plan on downgrading then it would be useful to keep that up to date, but I dropped that thing years ago.

If there are contacts that only show up in your phone because you're synced with facebook, then you'll need to manually add them to your google account. If you sync with facebook, and it already finds it in your contact list, it won't add a duplicate, just add information to the existing account.

You could store contacts to your sd card using apps, but again, if you're transferring to a new droid, that would be superfluous.

For simplicity, I recommend having a complete up to date contact list on your google account, stop using backup assistant, get rid of any duplicates you might have on your phone's storage, update your google list to match your facebook list, and always add new contacts to your google account.

You can make backups and such, but I find you run the risk of making duplicates. My Droid 1 was a mess because I would have 4 different versions of the same contact synced from different places and it just got ugly

Edit: corrected something

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: