Contacts mysteriously dissapearing.

srr2449

Reaction score
I am having a problem where my contacts randomly dissapear from my contact list. I normally have 132 contacts, which I can see in my gmail account, but now I have only 5 listed on my phone. If I go into my call log or favorites they are still listed there. Something to note, the 5 contacts that still remain are the 5 most recently added.

I have restored my phone through factory settings in the settings/privacy tab on the phone. Then re-added my gmail account and synced my contacts to only come back to the same problem. 5 contacts in my contact list.

If I try to compose a text message I can type in the names of the contacts that are missing and it knows what they are so I know there is some knowledge of their existence in my phone, it's just not showing in my contacts!

Please help me. :motdroidhoriz:

OP
S

srr2449

Reaction score
I think I fixed my own problem haha!

If you are having this same problem, go to your gmail account on your pc. Click on contacts, and select all.. Then click the tab that says "add to my contacts".

This was my problem, as my contacts were listed in my gmail account but for some reason were not 'mine'. interesting!

Problem fixed for me though!

JayMonster

Reaction score
that is the way Gmail has always worked. When you recieve an e-mail from somebody, it remembers the contact for reply purposes, but those are treated differently than contacts you entered which makes up your actual "Contact List"

bkavanaugh

Reaction score
Glad I saw this thread! I wondered why not all of my contacts from Outlook (via gSyncit) weren't showing up on my Droid...

dkofod

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem. When I got the Droid, my contacts were transferred from my old phone. Not sure if/how it is related, but last week, I had to re-set up my facebook account on the phone for some unknown reason. I believe I was asked a question about synching contacts, and I think I replied no. Now I just have 5 contacts...5 I have enetered manually since owning the Droid. When I dial a number of a contact that no longer appears, the name comes up, and the names do still show on the call log/favorites. I tried the gmail solution, but the only 5 contacts there are the ones on the Droid. Any other suggestions? This is really frustrating!

Thanks for the help!!

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Easy fix. Just open contacts, menu, display options, select an account, and make sure all options are checked. In the case of contacts that are 'not yours' not showing up, they fall into the "all other contacts" category that, for whatever reason, is not selected by default and was reset (at least on my phone) with the 2.0.1 update.

dkofod

Reaction score
The only 2 accounts I have are facebook and gmail. I selected gmail and then checked "All other contacts". Now I have a ton more contacts than I had before....but all my old ones are there too. I'll take too many over just 5!! Thanks for the help.

dkofod

Reaction score
Update...I just went back in after posting my last reply, and selected "only contacts with phones" and it seems to be back to the way it was last week. Again, thanks! This forum is great!

alucardx

Reaction score
i had a similar issue where after importing from csv, contacts created on the phone wouldn't appear anywhere and would only show up in a gmail contacts -> search under "other contacts".

i had to ensure my contacts in Gmail were correctly added to the main "My Contacts", did a factory reset and the phone finally acts the way it should now.

JayMonster

Reaction score
i had a similar issue where after importing from csv, contacts created on the phone wouldn't appear anywhere and would only show up in a gmail contacts -> search under "other contacts".

i had to ensure my contacts in Gmail were correctly added to the main "My Contacts", did a factory reset and the phone finally acts the way it should now.

A factory reset shouldn't have been required (assuming this is the only issue), once you add things to my contacts, it should work after the next sync.

alucardx

Reaction score

A factory reset shouldn't have been required (assuming this is the only issue), once you add things to my contacts, it should work after the next sync.

i was just cutting to the chase, i spent many hours screwing around with it yesterday trying to get it to work the way it was designed. in addition to not working, displaying duplicate "system group: my contacts" listing on the droid, and an process.acore crash anytime i tried doing something with "other display options".. so long story short, once i had gmail contacts set up right, did a factory reset, everything works the way it should.