Considering switching to iPhone

cccmhhh

Reaction score
I think Im going for it.

There were a few great posts above on why an Iphone is not the best. I went from a BB Storm (junk), to DX which was a great step until GB. Of course all my friends have Iphones and the software is no where as buggy as Android. My phone is always loading---- locking up and the last software update bafunery was the icing on the cake. Google knows this is like beta software and has done nothing to communicate to us that an upgrade to fix the upgrade is on the way. To me it is customer service and smooth sailing are way more important than a custom home page or constant tweaking hobby. Just my opinion and I hope Google and Verizon can get their Sh** together so I don't have to be one of the crowd with the Iphone.

blueman

Reaction score
I love my DX.

However, if you want to have the most seamless, consistent experience with your phone, I believe the iPhone is the way to go. Just like with any device there may be issues here and there. You could be unlucky and get a bad iPhone just as much as you could get a bad Droid X's. These things happen.

I'm a tinkerer and I like things a certain way. This is why I think the Android platform fits me so well. You definitely do not have that option with the iPhone. I feel so constricted when I use apple devices.

Comparing my phone experiences to a close friend of mine, there are two things I have noticed.
1. His battery life is extremely well compared to mine.
I average 12hr of battery life a day, while he gets almost 2 days of service without a charge. Both of us are heavy Pandora users. He texts more than I do and we use email about the same amount. Every once in a good while I will get a good 24 hour charge, which is usually because I left it off the charge overnight and was in a good service area all day. However, my battery life is completely acceptable to me, but it would be nice to get comparable battery life.

2. His stock Exchange client is nicer than the Android Exchange client.
The email client on his phone is leaps and bounds better than the one from Android. The stock exchange mail client from Android is acceptable and can be used, but it is not nearly as nice as the client on the iPhone. I use NitroDesk's Touchdown exchange client and this is definitely an improvement over the stock client. However, NitroDesk's Touchdown does not integrate into the phone as nicely as the iPhone exchange client. For this I give the iPhone props.

Everything else between our experiences seem to relate to what we want out of a phone. I love to tinker and he doesn't want to mess with his phone at all. For him, it does what it does and that is good enough. For me, I always want more. I continually want to see what my phone can do that I could not do with it the day before.

For the OP, go with your gut man. If your fed up with your experience, make a change. You might have to spend some dough to get that iPhone upgrade, but at least your being proactive to your situation. From what I have read in the earlier posts, it doesn't sound like you are a tinkerer. And if that is the case, I think the iPhone would fit.

PS - loving Liberty .7 on my GB Droid X and CyanogenMod 7 on my girlfriends Droid X. I wouldn't swap it for an iPhone unless you paid me some serious monies. I mean, with serious monies I could keep the iPhone and buy the phone I wanted. At least then I'd have another device to play with...

Janet1025

Reaction score
You know you are going to get bashed if you mention getting an IPHONE on a Droid Forum lol....

I loved my courtship with my Droid X for the whole 3 months then when Verizon came out with the IPHONE 4 I became intrigued, finally gave in, bought one on Craigs and sold my X the very next day on Craigs...and I am EXTREMELY HAPPY...

I did not dislike the X but in the end it was too "big" for me, the very reason I did not want to switch to a smaller screen and you know what it does not even make any difference to me as I thought it would.. I needed something I could easily stick in my pocket or even in my bra in a pinch.. (ok ok I know moderators this is family forum hee hee)

But nor do I need a phone to watch movies, play video games or anything of the sort,
I need a phone, email, Facebook and web browsing and it does a great job... for all the above.

And about the customizations, I customized So much(well amateur) on my Droid that honestly I found it counterproductive, spent way too much time changing things around, looking for apps etc... that I dont even really need that many apps on my IPHONE besides Facebook and EBAY..

Two things I do really appreciate is the longer battery life and I hated that 1G/3G dance all day, and I work in a BIG city so not sure why..

Anyway good luck in what you decide, I still like to lurk around here because this Droid forum was my obession for three months!

Last edited:

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
My main problem with iOS phones (not including the lack of customization) is the choices you have.

When buying an android phone I can choose whether I want a big screen, small, or medium. And if I want 3G or 4G, core or dual core. Physical keyboard or virtual. HTC Sense, Blur, touchwiz, or even ADW/LP/Go Launcher.

I could go on, but I think i've made my point.
With Apples iPhone's, you get one design. One operating system. One screen size.

You have no options whatsoever, other than the choice of 3GS/iP4.

There are plenty more reasons too. SD card support, overclocking, Root and ROMing, etc.

OP
W

wade234

Reaction score
I finally jumped ship. I could not take it anymore. I on my 4th replacement phone in 2 weeks (the final one coming today). I learned to accept the reboots 3-4 times a day. The most recent one rebooted at least 4 times a day and the screen is starting to short out and flash. I found someone selling a new iPhone for $350 so I could not pass up the deal (I am not due for an upgrade). I will say Android is a much cooler OS and I do miss some of the customization stuff. When it comes down to it I can live with out customization I need a reliable device. Thanks everyone for the advice.

cobjones

Reaction score
Well atleast I don't have to see this stupid thread anymore.

Please lock, the OPer switched.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums