ConnectBot, AndroidVNC and SSH with public keys.

SeniorMoment

Reaction score
I've seen lots of success posts describing how to VNC using ConnectBot and AndroidVNC and SSH with password authentication but none using public keys.

I have an Ubuntu server which I logon remotely from an Ubuntu laptop using a public key SSH pipe. I start up x11vnc from the terminal session (I don't want to run the vnc server as a deamon for security reasons) forwarding the ports and firing up remmina as my vnc client. All works well.

What I want to do is achieve this on my HTC Desire.

My process so far :

I connect to my remote server through a ConnectBot session using public keys.

I use the 'Port Forwards' dialogue within ConnectBot as follows:

Nickname: vnc
Type: Local
Source Port: 5900
Destination: 192.168.1.99:5900 (note: this example is framed within my home network)

I then fire up my x11vnc server using the following command in the ConnectBot terminal:

'x11vnc -safer -localhost -nopw -once -noxfixes -auth ~/x11auth -display :0'

x11vnc starts as normal, with no errors.

I then hit the home key to switch out of ConnectBot (it is still running in background because it sits in my notification tray) and the run AndroidVNC.

I try to connect using the following settings:

The Password box is empty and I don't check the Keep box.
Address: 127.0.0.1
Port: 5900
Colour Format: 64 colours
Local Mouse Pointer: unchecked
Force full-screen bitmap: unchecked
Repeater: No repeater

After hitting the Connect button I get an Error box pop-up shows “VNC Connection failed!”

Has anyone managed to get this working ?

Please advise....

BumForALiving

Reaction score
I use ConnectBot with a public key and Remote VNC. Works well with my dd-wrt router and 3 windows desktops. Tried it just now with AndroidVNC and it worked however the message "Downloading first frame" sits there for a minute or so. Eventually it shows up. If I connect internally via WiFi first frame shows up almost instant.

From what I see, my settings are as you have them. The only thing I can think of is are you port forwarding 5900 on your home network?

Reaction score
OP
S

SeniorMoment

Reaction score
Thanks possessedskier and BumForALiving. Tried both your suggestions but to no avail.

I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is in my x11vnc command:

'x11vnc -safer -localhost -nopw -once -noxfixes -auth ~/x11auth -display :0'

Particularly the display switch ?

Does this look right to you ? Do you both use x11vnc from the ConnectBot session ?

Regards,
colin

BumForALiving

Reaction score
Sorry, can't help you there. My machines are all windows running RealVNC.

Another thing to try is the free Remote VNC to see if it's an issue in AndroidVNC.