Confused about functions 1-4 XT912

Xadus23

Reaction score
First is first, a big hand for Matt for this detailed how to root for dummies :hail:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...t912-jellybean-windows-mac-linux-all-one.html

I did have a Droid Charge that i rooted, and had no problems doing so. In 2010 when i did that, i couldn't find detailed instructions like this one here. Anyway, I now have the Droid Razr Maxx and i plan on rooting today if my questions can be answered, if not no biggie.

I got the phone brand new with 7 hrs operating time from my brother in law, he didn't want it after 1 day of buying it SMH as he hands it over. He still owes Carrier $$ for the bill so until he gets his head out is arse, it is locked from making calls and texting. For about 5 months now i have been using it for Web, FB, Games. Waiting to access better apps for root users.

If i root will that lock me out of the phone since it will need an active signal to get started after boot?

When i root my Charge ICS years ago, i do not remember having 4 options to choose from, i just rooted to have it for the first time.
Since the phone cannot be used for calls, If i root will that be enabled? i would like to use this phone instead of my wife's iphone.
What are the differences in functions 1-4?
Which function will apply to me?

***System***
Version 4.1.2 JB OTA (update successful 1st try)
Build: 9.8.20-72_vzw-16 Feb 1, 2013

**Side Note**
I just plugged phone in for first time to PC today to backup files, photos, and contacts before i root, and this error keeps coming up.
Unfortunately, the process com.motorola.vzw.vmm has stopped

This has never happened since ive had the phone, and i havent installed anything in about a month, anybody have a clue? Thank You

P.S. Thanks to this forum i learned how to use screen capture without app :icon_ banana:

GotnFX

Reaction score
Options 1-4 are explained in the link.

1 and 2 are basically the same thing. It will download the latest software JB. The only difference is option 1 will do a full wipe of your phone while option 2 will not.

Looks like your phone is already on the latest JB so you don't have to worry about these options.

Option 3 is to root

Option 4 is to add Safe strap. This is needed if you plan to try custom ROMs.

I am assuming the carrier has shutoff the service to the phone and so you can only use it on WiFi. Rooting alone will not allow you to gain access to cell reception. The phone needs to activated by the carrier. I am sure there are apps such as Skype were you can make phone calls via WiFi.